My Past

Layla's POV:

Alice and Jasper departed for South America without informing anyone. Bella believes they have abandoned us or are on their way to help us. In any case, Alice and Jasper are gone, and they aren't coming back anytime soon. Emmett, Rosalie, Esmee, Carlisle, and Edward began traveling around the world, enlisting the help of some of our friends. I stayed with Bella and Renesmee at home. I stayed out of sight of the others as well. I was trapped in a dark room and had no idea how to get out. Shivers ran down my spine just thinking about the Volturi. I couldn't stop thinking about how bad things had been with them in the past. It was something I didn't want to consider.

With my arms crossed, I stood in the middle of my old bedroom. I was tense, and I tried unsuccessfully to clear my head of the horrible thoughts, but it was futile. They were stuck in place, and I couldn't get them to move.

Bella walked into the room and came to my side.

"Layla, you haven't been the same since the Volturi came into the picture. Is everything alright?"

I was unable to respond to Bella. I wasn't feeling well, but I wasn't in the mood to talk about it with her. For her and Edward, things had already taken a turn for the worst.

"You said you knew what the Volturi is capable of. How do you know that exactly?" Bella asked.

I shifted my gaze to Bella. I didn't want to tell her about my traumatic history, but I figured it would be beneficial to both of us.

"The Volturi tried to recruit me before Carlisle took me in and after my brother died. I instantly turned down their offer, but Jane's brother, Alec, had other ideas. In some way, I believe he thought I was attractive. As a result, he returned with me. Every attempt he made to court me ended in failure. I didn't want him, and I certainly didn't need him. As a result, he escorted me to one of the Volturi's chambers. He restrained me and essentially used me as a torture weapon. He took away all of my senses with his talents. While I was helpless, he smiled and laughed." I explained myself.

"But, you can control things with your mind. Why didn't you do that?"

"I didn't realize I had the ability I possess now at the time. I had no idea I had them. Aro ultimately found out I was down there after some time had passed. He noticed what was going on between Alec and me. He gave me permission to leave. As a result, I returned home, where Carlisle discovered me and took me in. It's a horrible period in my life that I try not to think about. However, it does resurface from time to time and casts a pall over my existence."

"I'm sorry, Layla." Bella apologized.

"Why would you apologize? You weren't the one who did those things to me." I said.

It felt good talking to Bella, but at the same time, it was painful.

"I will do whatever I can for Renesmee, Edward, and you. You don't deserve this and I will do my best to stop the Volturi." I promised.

Bella pulled me in for a hug. She was like the sister that I never had, just like Alice and Rosalie.