Afraid of What is to Come

Seth's POV:

Things haven't been the same around here since we learned that the Volturi were pursuing the Cullens. More vampires arrived, prompting young teenagers to begin their change into werewolf. But, maybe most importantly, Layla has changed. I haven't seen her in a long time. It's as if she has vanished. I see her occasionally, although it isn't for long. She typically vanishes or I'm preoccupied with my wolf tasks. Bella told me about her problems, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. I now understand Layla's situation.

Bella directed me to a secluded location of hers. So I walked there and discovered Layla, who was sitting on the ground. Everything around her, including herself, was deafeningly quiet. I sat down close to her.

"Seth, what are you doing here? How did you find me?" she asked.

"Bella, she told me where to find you," I replied. "And she told me everything."

"Huh, I didn't want you to see me like this," Layla said, as she started to cry.

"See you like what?"

"The Volturi are coming. Nothing good happens when they are around." Layla began. "I am afraid. I have lost so much in my life. From my parents to my brother. I can't deal with it again. I can't go through it. I can't lose you, Seth. I don't what I would do if you weren't around. I love you."

I drew Layla close to my heart. I cradled her in my arms and put the side of my cheek against her brow. Layla was such a vital part of my life, and seeing her in this state made me sad.

"I promise you, Layla, you won't ever lose me."

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Seth."

"But I can. I won't break my promise to you. Believe me."

Layla placed her hands on my cheeks and said, "I want to, believe me. But you can't keep promises. No one can."

"That is where you are wrong."

I could tell that Layla was going to hold me to the promise. And that was perfectly fine with me. I didn't plan on failing her. Ever.

"What are we going to do?" she asked.

"I'm not entirely sure, but we are going to do our best to fight this. I won't give up on us. That I know." I assured.

My hand was gently placed on the back of her neck. Then I kissed her on the lips with a nice and soft kiss. Layla climbed down on my knee and wrapped her arms around my neck. So she wouldn't fall back, I put my hands around her lower back. We kissed each other again after that.