Family Problem

Layla's POV:

We'd finally made it back to the house, Seth and I. We hastily exited my vehicle and raced inside. We went straight to the family room, where everyone was assembled, including Renesmee. Renesmee dashed over to me as soon as I entered the room. I took her in my arms and leaned her against my hip.

"And how are you today?" I asked.

"Good, I caught some snowflakes with Jacob and mom," Renesmee replied.

"You did! That sounds like a blast."

"Uh-huh," Renesmee mumbled as she nodded her head.

I shifted my gaze to Edward and Carlisle. Something was going on, I could tell. Something serious is going on. So I sat Renesmee down on the floor and instructed her to accompany Seth for a while. She was delighted to accompany Seth. I kept an eye on both of them as they walked downstairs, ensuring sure everything was in order. Then I returned my focus to the unknown issue at hand.

"What is going on?" I asked.

Everyone's gaze was drawn to Alice. I waited for someone to explain what was happening.

"I had a vision." Alice began. "The Volturi are coming for us."

"Why? Am I missing something?"

"Irina caught Renesmee catching snowflakes. She must have assumed that Renesmee is an immortal child." Carlisle theorized. "We believe she is the one who told the Volturi."

This was not at all a nice situation. The Volturi were the last thing we needed to deal with. It's against the law to have an everlasting child. And the sentence for this crime is death. I had a bad experience with the Volturi in the past, and just thinking about them made me angry.

"What's the problem? Renesmee was born, not bitten. She grows every single day." Bella interrupted.

"Yes but as far as they are concerned, she is not mortal. This is unknown to them." I explained. "They will come and there will be consequences. Believe me, I know."

"What do you suppose we do then?" Edward jumped in.

"Convince them," I answered. "Find others and have them meet Renesmee. Have them testify on our behalf."

"So witnesses, essentially," Carlisle said.

"Yes," I replied.

Everyone was on the same page. We all needed to travel to various regions of the globe in order to collect witnesses to the impending problem. I stepped out of the room, followed by Alice. On the stairwell, she came to a halt.

"Will this really work, Layla?" Alice asked.

"I don't know, but I have an idea of how to help. Travel to South America, look through some of the tribes and you might find someone to help us win against the Volturi. There are tales of people like Renesmee. I have wanted to travel down there and see for myself, but I haven't made it."

"Okay, Layla, Jasper and I will do that."

"Good luck, Alice."

In the blink of an eye, everything changed. The Volturi were on their way to get us, and it was only a matter of time. As a result, we'll need to locate others to assist us at that time. They must give evidence against the Volturi. I'd already lost one family and had no intention of losing another. That is something I am aware of.