Dreams vs. Reality

Flying a jet plane was not a hard job for Rafael. It has been his dream to be a pilot (especially of a jet aircraft), he had worked hard to achieve it and now he was living his dreams, and more. Not to mention, how luck had favoured him all along, landing him as an Air Marshall- a person of outmost respect.

Rafael smiled proudly as he sauntered along the hallway, people parting as he passed. Of course, respect for the Air Marshall is to be paid. Especially after the exhausting mission at catching some terrorist group under his conduction that recently became a success. Even the pretty new nurse gave him a shy smile. Overall, his day was a success.

Rafael was now marching towards the auditorium where he would most likely, be awarded for his technical strategies that led to the capture of the terrorist group RAFT.

RAFT had been causing quite a massacre in the area under Rafael's inspection for five years now, and their whereabouts changed continuously hindering Rafael's team to actually locate RAFT's hideouts. And now, Rafael and his team were finally victorious in defeating and arresting RAFT.

Rafael could barely suppress his happiness at that massive achievement as he walked into the auditorium. Heads turned to look at the great Air Marshall who marched past them towards the podium where the smiling announcer awaited him.

Rafael jogged up the steps where the Head was holding a medal that would certainly go around his neck, where he would be promoted as a responsible and sensible leader and an effective Air Marshall.

Rafael always woke up before he was awarded with that medal. He would wake up to a deserted street that felt scorching hot on his back due to the midday Sun. He would always wake up with his stomach growling and his skin itching with all the dust that he acquired from sleeping by the roadside.

Gone was his pressed uniform, gone was his reputation, and gone was his status and authority. Rafael would rub the crust off his eyes and look around at a barren land devoid of shade, civilized establishment, education, opportunities and security. 

Rafael would wake up to the reality, where he wasn't a pilot, where he wasn't living his dreams. Because, that could only occur in his 'dream'.

It would always remain as a mere dream of a mere small Black boy at a lonely Nigerian street.

...............

A/N: Hey guys :) It's a bit short as that's how I had written it (a long time back) and now I can't really find anything to stretch this story a bit more, so bear with it ._. I'm writing on a horror oneshot atm which will be out by Friday, hopefully! Till then, do give this book lots of love by voting and commenting. Thanks :)