Waking Up: Part 1

The Dream:

As I awake, I discover I am lying flat on my back, with the earth's gelid ground nipping at my skin. A sharp pain shoots through the back of my head causing the surrounding view to become nothing but a blur. A second pain shoots through my head causing me to lose consciousness.

I awake once again. The pain is still there as I attempt once more to focus on my surroundings."Where am I?" I question as squit and the blurred objects scattered about on the hot sand. "And most importantly, how the hell did I get here in the first place?"

While pulling myself upright, my legs wobble back and forth. Holding my self-steady appears to be a challenge. My eyesight finally returns as the pain subsides. I discover debris surrounds me from a plane that had plummeted into the depths of the ocean - a plane that I was on just moments ago... then again, it could have been longer. I am unclear how much time has passed because I was unconscious.

I look around for more evidence; knowing where I am is crucial. There are miles and miles of sand. A voice that sounds unfamiliar crepitates within the air, "Where am I?"

No one answers. No one answers because I am the only one here.

*******

PART ONE:

THE BEGINNING BEFORE THE ISLAND

Waking Up:

I grumble through my teeth, "Where the hell is that annoying beeping coming from! Someone - anyone, for the love of, God! Please make it stop!"

As I awake to the sound of my alarm buzzing in the air, I roll my eyes at and slam my hand down on the worn-out button. Finally, the annoying noise ceases to exist.

Actually, I should be thankful for the alarm clock. Every night I am haunted by a horrific nightmare. I crash onto a haunted island, with no means of escaping. It is probably just my fear of planes. There is no other logical explanation.

If you are wondering why there cannot be any other possible reason for my crazy dreams, well... it is because my past is erased.

I know it sounds ludicrous, but it is true. Any event before high school is entirely an empty slate inside my brain. I had lived in fear for years. I was always trying to understand why I couldn't remember, but eventually, Chey convinced me to stop asking questions and just let it be.

Genna says I should consider my mental block a gift. She says, "Having no past means having no hardcore memories, losses, or disappointments." I haven't told her yet, but recently my fears are beginning to resurface.

Thinking of the nightmare I had last night doesn't make the situation any better. The only event I have to look forward to is my upcoming vacation with, Chey.

A sense of hope filters through my dreadful thoughts, "I leave for Hawaii first thing tomorrow morning, and as of this afternoon, my vacation begins! Thank, God!"

As I attempt to get out of bed, my legs tangle around the lavender cotton sheets. I trip face forward onto the floor, but luckily the palm of my hands takes most of the impact.

I whisper in humiliation and pain, "I can't believe I just did that."

I squeeze my sore, tingling hands tightly together. I can tell from the dirt on my palms the floor needs to be vacuumed and swept. I am the only one that lives in my apartment, so there is no one to impress. Matter of fact, most of the time the only other person I hang out with is my best friend, Chey.