one | origination

Comincia dall'inizio

"Do you really support this?" She scoffs. "Okay, look, excluding the popularity, are you still fine with this kind of relationship?"

"I don't see how this affects our deal," he answers firmly. "I'm here to talk about your role. I don't have forever, Ms. Westbrook, so it's better if you directly tell me your decision."

She jolts with the kick on her leg and whips her head to her mother. She looks pissed off by her speech but she can't care less about it. She is not accepting this role, end of. "Right," she says, raising to her feet and leaning toward the man over the table. "Go find yourself someone else to fuck up."

While she storms off from the restaurant, she doesn't look back but she hears her mother trying to apologize from the man and tell him that she will convince her. The producer wouldn't want Gail from this moment on, so her mother's effort is in vain. They have lost this opportunity but Gail feels like she has done the right thing.

Outside, it's cold and she regrets leaving her coat at home. Wrapping her arms around her torso, she calls for an uber but she has to wait at least ten minutes. Bouncing her right leg, she sighs but she knows she has no other choice. A part of her feels bad for leaving her mother behind, too, but she can't really stand her right now.

However, her plans fall down when she hears her mother's voice in the background but angry as ever. She slowly glances back with a grimace, looking like a naughty child that's just been caught and her breath clogs up in her throat. She doesn't want to face her at this moment—she wants the feeling of pride to linger a bit more.

Gail tends to do crazy things when she's panicked or excited, and this is no exception. She immediately looks around and notices a jet black car halted in front of her. The driver gets off the driver's seat and buttons his front as he walks to the back door. All she notices is that the car engine is still howling and the door is open. Click. An idea lights up the dark corners of her mind and leads her to sprint at the open door in a swift manner. Luckily, the driver doesn't notice her since he's busy with something else—which she doesn't pay attention at all because of the adrenaline running down in her veins. Inside the car, it's as black and she stops a little to appreciate the gorgeous view before she shuts the driver's door. Taking a deep breath, she locks the doors and steps on the accelerator with all she has.

Once she drives away from the restaurant, the weight on her shoulders fall down and she releases a sigh of relief, knowing exactly where to go. It's dark now, almost eleven in the evening and the car lights are off, too, so she clicks them open and turns the radio on. A Spanish song immediately fills the car and she smiles when she notices she can fathom the words because of the lessons she'd taken in high school. Then, her eyes fall on the back through the rearview mirror.

Gail doesn't recognize the man on the back seat. She blinks again to reassure herself that she isn't hallucinating. Nope, he is still there with his solid expression and curious gaze. When she hopped inside, she hasn't taken the possibility of someone might be in the backseat into account. Panicked, she makes an abrupt halt, taking the guy by surprise as well and cause them to jerk forward. "Who are you?"

The guy leans forward and lifts an eyebrow at her. "Who are you?"

She notices she isn't the one in charge right now so she should be answering the question instead. "I am—I didn't mean to steal your car," she blurts out, her voice shaky. "In fact, I'm just borrowing it."

"Borrow?" He looks amused by her confession and that colors her cheeks when she notices she's being an entertainment. "Thought you mistaken me for an uber."

"I'd be sitting on the back if I thought so," she replies, rolling her eyes. "Besides, this car is amazing. Which year?"

"2019."