Leonie
Just tell her Heath! She'll understand.

"Leonie told me to give you a message," I said, reading my screen as I spoke. "She said, three words, eight letters."

There was a sharp gasp and I lifted my head to find Sarah clutching her chest, a dramatic drop in her lip as if she was going to start blubbering. "That is the sweetest thing that I have ever heard."

"What does it-"

"You can move over," Sarah interrupted, banging a fist on the table. "I want Leonie."

My eyes widened as I inhaled a deep breath. "Sheesh, alright. What does it mean?"

"Three words, eight letters," she stared at me as if it was obvious. "I love you. It's a Gossip Girl reference. Of course you wouldn't understand."

It seems that you've made Sarah's day. She's fond of you.

Leonie
No surprises there. I'm a fucking treat.

I shouldn't have been surprised that the two of them hit it off. Birds of a feather. There sense of humour was similar. It might have been concerning except for the fact that I was pleased to see Sarah with such an enormous smile on her face. Leonie was only a couple of years older than her. It might have been nice if the two of them could become friends. I wouldn't push it though. Leonie obviously had an aversion to getting close to people for fear of losing them again.

"Don't forget about chemo this afternoon," I told Sarah, slipping into my trainers so that I could go for a run.

She didn't answer me. She busied herself with her cell phone and hummed some show tune that sounded familiar. Outside, the weather was warm before the sun had made it's full appearance. The beams were coming through the gaps between houses and buildings. I plugged a seat of earphones into my phone and strapped the band to my arm which was exposed due to the fact that I wore a tank top when I ran. I hated ruining my shirts with patches of sweat.

Although I did make use of the on campus gym, I enjoyed running as a form of exercise. It was just me, whatever music I chose to listen to and the wind passing me as I inhaled fresh air. It gave me the chance to think. It allowed me to burn off frustration if it had been a bad day. Not to mention feeling the ache in my legs and knowing that it was progress was a reward in itself.

As I came towards Charlie's diner after half n hour, I slowed to a walk and wiped the sweat from my brow before I walked inside. It hadn't been open for long so there were no customers. Just a sales girl filling the pastries cabinet while Charlie wiped down tables and put out the napkin dispensers.

"Morning Son," the old man greeted me with genuine cheer and I found his morning attitude infectious. There was too much negativity around the morning. If someone wasn't an early riser, God help the people who were. We seemed to be a common enemy among those who could lie under their covers while the sun moved from one side of the sky to the other. I hated wasting hours. Unless it was Sunday. Sunday was a day of rest. I mean, it's biblical.

"Morning, Charlie," I puffed out a breath and strolled straight towards the fridge to get a cold water."

"How's that sister? She holding up?"

"She's hanging in there," I gave him a tight smile and handed him a five for the water. He slipped it into his apron. "She has chemo this afternoon. Not her favourite but she manages to stay positive."

"Take her a lemon slice," he pointed at the glass cabinet which was stocked with fresh baking and treats. Tarts, bagels, eclairs. The smell of fresh cream was mouth watering and I contemplated getting a coffee for a moment. I decided to wait until my morning energy began to wear off. "Yulie, bag up a lemon slice please, darlin."