[72:] Forgiveness

Austin

She looked so small and peaceful, but I gently nudged her in attempt to wake her.

"Huh? What?" She seemed dazed at first, then snapped to her senses. Her eyes grew wide. "Wait, what time is it?"

I pointed to the clock. 4:15 A.M.

She panicked. "No, no, no, I can't be here."

She grabbed her phone and smacked her forehead with her palm. "I'm dead." She took her words back as quickly as she said them.

"It was nice seeing you again," she said. Earlier in the night, we exchanged phone numbers.

She flew out the door and into her car in a matter of seconds. She stuck her hand out the window and waved as she drove away.

But she left her duffel bag in my car.

I'll have to return it to her later.

* * *

Maddie

I drove past two red lights. If a cop decided to pull me over, I'd explain the situation and I'm sure they'd understand.

Nine missed calls, all from Jen. I pick up on the tenth.

I put the phone on speaker. Big mistake. "Maddie! Where have you been?"

"I--I'm sorry!"

My apology only made her angrier. "You told me you got off work at eleven. I trusted you and expected you to come home at that time. I went to bed and woke up because the baby was crying, and you weren't home. You had me worried sick!"

I swallow down hard, allowing her rage to pass. "Madison, you're in big trouble. I can't deal with you right now." As soon as she said my full name, I knew that I was screwed. I'd probably never go outside again.

I hesitantly pull into the driveway, my hands shaking.

I fumble my keys into the lock and the lights were on. Jen was awake, and clearly upset.

As I stepped closer, I notice that it took all she had not to cry.

"I can't believe this is happening again

"I can't believe this is happening again. The last time this happened, I nearly died," Jen admitted. Ever since that night, I'd gotten stitches and a scar formed on my elbow. We never bring up that night. Ever. She hugged me tight. "Don't you ever, ever do that again. Do you understand me?"

I nodded.

Josh sniffed and rocked the baby to sleep. He slowly walked back to their room.

"I can only take so much." Her voice was no longer angry. Her voice seemed small. "Please, no more of this."

"I promise," I whisper.

I figured that tonight was enough weight for her to carry. I make a mental note to tell her about Austin in the morning.

* * *

Tiny chapter, but big things are coming!