Chapter Twenty Six

GUYS!
I cannot stress this enough, please read the last 5-7 chapters or at least skim through them if you have no idea what's going on right now. Also, I was going to include Roman's POV in the present but the chapter would have been incredibly long (this chapter is already over 2300 words), I felt like it would be really redundant and tedious.

-This is (some of) Kira's story.
-Don't worry, guys, next chapter won't come at a years time
-I would understand if you found this chapter annoying as  it doesn't include one of the main characters. (Or picks up where it left of. Sorry! Next chapter for sure)
-Most of all, I am sorry.

Enjoy!!

We are healed of a suffering only by experiencing it to the full.
- Marcel Proust

    CHAPTER TWENTY SIX. Darkness I Became.

London, 1879

The place was huge. Beautiful chandeliers hung in the ceilings and massive paintings decorated the walls. There was a marble fountain that took everyone's breath away.
Everything was stunning.

"How could such a beautiful lady come to this party unattended?" An amused voice asked behind her.

Kira turned around and looked at the handsome man, clutching her cloak. Maybe dressing up as a man, sneaking out of her house and walking the dark streets of London wasn't worth whatever chaos this was bound to unleash. But she didn't care. Her blood was rushing with excitement.

She was glad her looks were deceiving. People often thought she was older than she was when she dressed up.

Kira shook her head, feeling very little in front of him. He had to be at least six feet two inches tall with pale blond hair and amber eyes she'd never seen before. She briefly wondered if he saw her when she tried to blend in upon her arrival. "I came with a cousin, sir,"

Soft music was playing in the background. Most women had a male companion. Kira was, on the contrary, by herself. But she had always wanted to attend one of this parties. She had heard it, on her way home, whispered among some girls of her town. Beautiful music, even more beautiful men. And a poor girl from London could only dream so much.

Yet Kira could feel something in the air. Something not right.

"Allow me. " the man said, taking her cloak from her hands and placing on the back of an empty chair. She had a feeling it was his. She just watched quietly. "I am Caleb White," he said when he came back, giving her a slight bow.  His eyes flashed when he looked at her. "Shall I have the honor of dancing this set with you?"

She just nodded, grabbing his extended hand and pulling him into her middle of the dance room. That's all he needed to say.

He chuckled at her eagerness, but placed his hand on the small of her back, the other grabbing her free hand.

Immediately, she felt eyes on her. But she tried not to dwell on it.

People probably thought she was bold for pulling Lord Caleb to the dance floor.

People probably thought she was beautiful.

They began to move at the rhythm and fluidity of the music and Kira felt as light as a feather in his arms. She smiled. She could feel the music in her veins, in her soul.

Caleb's eyes gleamed. "You're breathtaking my lady."

Kira blushed. She closed her eyes, losing herself the moment, knowing she would have to go home later and forget all about it. She was about to reply, the previous anxious feeling she felt vanishing, and--