Chapter Twelve

❝We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.❞  ― Plato

 CHAPTER TWELVE. Shattering Bones.

 You know that one time when you feel drenched in cold sweat? When you feel like your lips are paper dry and your throat is constricted? Like you're at the pits of hell, everything crashing on you like massive rocks?

That's exactly what Ivory felt right now.

"Where are you going?" Ivory was pretty sure Alley screamed as she looked over from the T.V screen and at her sister with wide, expectant eyes.

"Out for a walk," Ivory replied with what she thought a normal voice.

"If you're not back in two hours I'm calling mom,"

Ivory rolled her eyes and grabbed her phone from the counter. "Yeah, yeah. Don't do anything stupid, I'll be back before you know it." She walked towards the front door, briefly looking over her shoulder at Alley who went back to watching T.V., and proceeded to open the door.

Once outside, Ivory closed the door behind her and pulled her hoodie over her head. The sun had set and night was crippling the brightness quickly. Houses were lit brightly but not a single soul walked on the streets. As she walked down, Ivory briefly checked on her phone, opening one message that Jake had left.

Wanna grab dinner at Smiley's?

Ivory sighed and put her phone back in her pocket, making her way to the side of the road where the tall trees began and never seemed to end. Just like always, the road was deserted.

She contemplated the idea of having dinner with Jake.

He was nice. Nice. Just nice...and attractive.

Leaves rustled quietly as the wind flew and Ivory shook her head and walked faster, almost jogging with the need of some air. Jogging. Thoughts crumbled other thoughts and created new ones. Images of that night flashed across her vision, playing over and over again.

Now running. She didn't even know what she was doing. This was absurd. Her lungs and feet begged her to top, but she couldn't. Yet, every time she looked ahead, the road never seemed to end.

She should've had taken her mother's car.

But Ivory never stopped, until at last, came to a shaky halt right at the edge of the road where she stood the night she found Roman. Her chest heaved up and down, feeling like her heart was seconds away from bursting out of her rib cage. Ivory turned around and faced the woods, breathing heavily in and out, closing her eyes and opening them again.

She quickly stepped into the woods before she regretted it. Leaves and branches snapped and broke as she stepped on them, but she kept walking deeper and deeper without stopping. Her eyes were drawn to the trees. They seemed to reach into the sky and touch it.