Chapter -37- Betrayed

Chapter 37

The anger flowed from Kat’s body as a sense of utter betrayal over powered her. Why now? Why wait all this time to reveal herself now.

Kat barely drew breath watching as her mother lowered herself with care to the mat. The images in the fire gained momentum showing all the action going on beyond the cave. Kat became mesmerized and drawn into the fire the faster the flames flickered. Her spirits fought, each one wanting to protect its mate and others. They all watched as Devlin carried Luke to the pack doctor for medical attention. His arms blackened all the way to his shoulders. As soon as Devlin delivered Luke he returned to his pack to lead them in the battle.

A healed Shad stood huge and proud. His solid, white horse towered over all the others on the battle ground. His whole herd at his side battling with their entire might. Even the smallest of the horses crumpled charging wolves with a single hoof. There was an ambush of tigers fighting their way towards the horses.

“We can help them you know.” The broken voice called so softly, Kat struggled to make it out.

“How? We are so far away?” Kat frowned as she tried to decide how much her mom had left upstairs.

“Remember how you spirited to come find me the first time? Well every fallen person you stopped and kissed that was still alive, you healed. Your father passed his families gift of healing to you while I passed my ability to leave my body and go to others.”

You would need to open your mind to me. I can direct you to the places that need you most. Between me watching and your healing we might turn this battle around. First though we need to send you to your mate. He doesn’t look as if he is doing so well. I will open a flame close to where he is located. You go and start your healing with him. From there I will direct you to the others that need you the most. God speed sweet child.

The flame shot up and grew hotter. The in heat the cavern became almost unbearable. A powerful force reached deep into Kat pulling her straight in to the flames like last time. Quick glances around showed she was once again in spirit form floating above the flames. This time the safe room door was open. Kat floated outside. She found herself in a clinical area. A few feet from her lay her mate. His head cocked at a funny angle. People crowded around him. They all had needles and medicines trying to draw the poison from his system.

Unable to stay away any longer she floated towards him.

Kat laid her hands on his cheeks and tried hard to remember her mom’s words. What had healed the others? Grief and anger filled her once again. Kat blocked out everything except her hurt mate. Her eyes dried and became hard. Kat’s only thoughts were on revenge. Enough was enough. Luke’s breathing became more shallow and choppy as the poison reached his heart and Kat knew it was killing him.

With the intent of having one last kiss before he was gone, Kat placed her lips on his. In that moment his heart stopped and all the machines in the room went crazy. People started grabbing heart paddles and yelling for adrenaline. Luke’s eyes opened and locked on hers in a stare that told Kat he’d gone. A faint spark passed from his lips to hers and she knew she was too late. Kat had failed her mate. Sorrow flooded her chest as she reached out with her mind to her mom. She sent her the whole agonizing story.

We have to get to the battle or his sacrifice will have been for nothing. Right outside the clinic the Blackwolves battle. Two wolves have fallen but are still alive. Quick, go kiss their heads and help them push the Lunas back. If we do this right we should be able to push them all to one area. If you are healing then they don’t stand a chance. I will keep an eye on your mate and inform you of any change. Now go.