Chapter 7 - One Wild Ride

To the wonderful Bella Johnson for her words of encouragement when I get frustrated.  

Also a huge thanks to Challenge the mind for all her encouragement and editing skills.  Thanks Ladies.  Also and as Always thanks to the JD Cave

Chapter 7

   Kaitlin jumped out of Luke's arms as the truck settled back down. Luke quickly moved to put her behind him with no clue as to what had shaken the truck. A quick check assured him that his wolves all stayed away from the cabin as he commanded.

   Jackson had stated he was on his way to offer back up but that it might take a few minutes to get to them. Not knowing what was attacking Jackson feared they might not have a few minutes. Reaching out with his keen senses all he could smell and hear was the birds and Kaitlin's horse. Although her horse smelled a lot closer than his pen would have allowed.

   Looking out the back window her horse had his head down and was shoving on the truck. Somehow this over-sized horse had gotten out. With all the coming and going of the pack and rouges someone must have left the gate open. As Luke had stared at the horse its eyes became visible showing a silver ring to their outer edge. That ring might have been an indicator of power had the horse been were.

“Your horse seems to not like us being this close,” Luke whispered to Kaitlin.

  Kaitlin whipped her head around to stare at her beloved pet.

“Oh Shad you’re okay,” she yelled as she scrambled from the truck, “I was so worried about you. My poor baby,” she cooed to the horse.

   Luke felt quite jealous of the way the horse was rubbing his nose and head all over Kaitlin. If he hadn't known better he would have sworn that the horse was scent marking her. When Shad had laid his head over Kaitlin's shoulder Luke knew he wasn't imagining the way the horse tucked her closer. Shad lifted his head and snorted at Luke. When tucked under Shad's head Kaitlin relaxed and seemed to shift and almost seemed more.

   Kaitlin not realizing that there was a tension between the horse and man continued to check over her beloved paint. He might be classed a mustang but he had some kinda draft style horse bred into him. He was huge. He had to be at least seventeen hands. He got his classification of a mustang because his mom was full blood mustang. He was from northern Nevada. At least that was wear the herd was captured. No one could figure out why he was so huge. His mom was only about fifteen point three to maybe sixteen hands tall.

   Running her hands over him was almost as soothing as running her hands over Luke. Blushing at the direction her thoughts where going she turned her head away. Looking closely she saw no signs of injury so putting her hand under Shad's chin she started to walk towards the gate.

   As she walked away from Luke she felt like she was trying to walk against an incoming tide at the beach. It was almost physically impossible to walk away from him. She got shad to the gate and noticed it was still shut tight.

   Looking Shad in the eyes she chuckles. “Did you get worried and jump the fence again?” she whispered so softly it was almost like she breathed the words. Shad tossed his head in a yes manner.

“I was okay. I just was sharing. I actually told him about how dad died. Kinda weird huh my friend?”

   Shad threw his head around and snorted at the intruder. He nuzzled in closer to Kaitlin almost trying to ensure she was back to a normal emotional state.

“Calm my friend. You are still my favorite boy. My mighty stallion. My love. Go my friend. Run and enjoy. Later we will fly together. We will fly till you can run no more,” she whispered and kissed his velvety nose.