Chapter 34 To be a queen

Start from the beginning

At her feet, the youngest princess Elena was drawing pictures. Her crayons and papers were sprawled out all over the floor.

"Perhaps you would like some more wine, prince Darius?" Elora asked. She stood up and took the decanter from the table.

"Elora!" Eloise said in shock, "we have servants for that!"

Elora glanced over her shoulder at her sister while approaching Darius. "I hardly think it would make a difference for him," she said casually and she turned to Darius, "wouldn't you say it is so, Your Highness?"

Darius studied her cautiously for a moment. Her words seemed to hold a challenge, but he did not understand the rules. This was not the same as his time in Zeir when lady Vara had grated on his nerves. The house of Lavos was a potential ally. He was going to marry one of king Elon's daughters. If he insulted anyone now, instead of an ally, Tireze might gain an enemy.

He took a breath. "That depends, my lady, are you practicing being my servant or my wife?"

Eloni let a small laugh escape and quickly covered her mouth with her hand. Eloise looked horrified while the youngest two didn't even seem to notice what had passed.

Elora didn't seem offended in the slightest. She smiled at Darius sweetly. "Are you saying a wife shouldn't offer her husband a drink at times?"

"Elora, that is enough," king Elon warned calmly but firmly.

Elora looked at her father. "I meant no offense. I'm just wondering about the difference between attentiveness and servitude."

"The difference is your sharp tongue." It was the first time Elvira had paid any attention to the other occupants in the room. She glanced over her bookroll at her sister. "Perhaps you shouldn't provoke him. He doesn't look like he has much sense of humor."

"Elvira!" king Elon barked, "apologize this instance!"

"Why?!" Elvira bristled, "I didn't ask for this! I don't want to marry him! Why can't you just leave me alone!" She stood up and stormed out of the room.

King Elon sighed and turned to Darius. "I apologize on her behalf, and I will make certain she apologizes to you as well."

Byron excused himself quietly and went in pursuit of Elvira. The rest of the room had fallen silent.

Darius wasn't sure how to respond. The behavior of these women was highly inappropriate. It seemed like king Elon wasn't able to control his daughters. It annoyed him. Was Tireze the only nation that taught women to have respect? He inclined his head at king Elon. "That would be much appreciated," he said stiffly, "I am a guest in your house. I didn't come here to be insulted. I came to liaise with you by taking one of your daughters as my wife."

The king nodded. "I am aware," he said seriously, "I assure you, I do not condone Elvira's behavior. She will apologize."

"Very well," Darius conceded, "then we will move on."

Elora bit her lip, feeling slightly responsible for her sister's outburst. "Father," she said, "if you please, will put Elena to bed. It is past the usual hour."

King Elon gave her a curt nod and Elora curtsied at Darius with downcast eyes before picking up her youngest sister from the floor. "Time for bed, my sweet."

Elena protested only lightly. She too was affected by their sister's outburst. She squirmed in Elora's arms as she was carried away. "I have to say good night to the prince," she muttered.

Elora nodded and put her down. "Go say goodnight then, but after that I'll take you up."

Elena darted towards Darius and Torcan and studied them carefully. She squinted her eyes in thought and ran back to Elora. "Which one is the prince again?" she whispered harshly.