"You should try this thing called sleeping."

"Wow, really? I never even considered that one."

"Do you want to talk about it? Because I heard it helps and you're currently wasting my time."

"Oh, careful Jace. For a minute there, I thought you were going to say you cared. And no one asked you to be here."  I muttered the last part, making my way back over to the piano bench.

"Don't get ahead of yourself. It takes a lot for me to care about someone." He winked making me gag. "As for being here, I couldn't just let my guest stay stressed. I have to tend to her needs."

"Uh...no...you don't. I'll have you know, I'm very independent."

"So you say."

"What's that's supposed to mean?" My eyes narrowed. "You don't even know me."

"And yet, here we are talking as if we've known each other our whole lives."

"The door's waiting for you."

"You're very stubborn."

"And you're very persistent."

"Touché."

"Why are you still here?" I sighed.

"Why am I still here? I live here."

I rolled my eyes at his arrogance. "I meant in this room, bothering me, dumbass."

"Because I want you to sleep so I can sleep."

"News flash, buddy; I want to sleep too. But, unfortunately there are these things called nightmares and I don't think you wish to constantly wake up to me screaming. I'll sleep when I'm too tired to dream."

"You'll get over the nightmares. Now go to bed."

"Last time I checked, you don't give me orders." I tried to sound calm, despite the fact he tried to act like he knew anything about what I was going through.

"What is it?" He inquired.

I looked up at him to see him eyeing my hand which I realized was aggressively clenching the piano seat. My knuckles were white.

"Nothing." I murmured, letting go. "I'll see you in the morning." I began to make my way to the door, but he suddenly grabbed my wrist, letting go as soon as I stopped.

"Wait was it something I said? I need to know what makes you want to leave the room for when you get annoyed."

"Haha very funny. You didn'y say anything. I'm just suddenly tired. So goodnight."

                        ✗✗✗✗

"Hey there's the sleeping goblin." Was my greeting as I entered the kitchen that I somehow managed to find in this institute that was equivalent to Ikea.

I ended up getting a total of 2 hours of sleep last night. Be proud. On the bright side of everything, I don't think it could get any worse...right? I mean, who else have I got to lose? On the downside–well one of the downsides of everything that's happened– I now had a new image enter my mind whenever I closed my eyes. Henric. I should be sobbing left and right, but instead, I didn't even feel anything. I was void of pretty much any emotion except annoyance. In all honesty, I should've seen it coming. If this Valentine dude hadn't come for me, than he would've. Only difference it that Henric and his clan could've easily taken my father down.

I gave Jace a tight smile. "At least I could get plastic face surgery for my ugliness. You, on the other hand, are hopeless."

"Says the one who looks like someone hit her with a baseball bat multiple times. Also, last time I checked, I'm a god."

"Does everyone visualize duct tape over your mouth so early into a conversation?"

"What happened between you two?" Alec asked with a yawn as he walked into the kitchen and grabbed a cup for each of us.

"Thea was just talking bad about me to make herself feel better."

"Your flexability amazes me, Jace. How do you get your foot in your mouth and your head up your ass all at the same time?" I retorted, pouring myself a cup of coffee.

Alec let out a low whistle while Jace scowled. "If I wanted a bitch, I would've gotten a dog."

"Oh so you wanted me?" I raised an eyebrow, taking a sip of the steaming hot liquid.

He narrowed his eyes but Alec cut him off before he could come up with one of his lame replies. "Where are the girls?"

"Probably still sleeping. They had a long day yesterday." An older woman wearing in a tight blue dress walked into the kitchen. She turned her attention to me and gave me a tight smile. "I'm Maryse Lightwood, Alec and Izzy's mother. You must be the Mundane?"

"Yes ma'am. Athena Westchester." I held out a hand which she disregarded as she made her way over to Alec.

"Can I speak to you?" She asked him, while eyeing me.

"Yeah, of course. What's-"

"Alone." She clarified, harshly and they made their way out of the many doors that led into the massive kitchen.

"Well she seems to like me." I mused, taking a seat on one of the stools.

"She'll come around. She's just not exactly happy with housing a Mundie."

I snapped my head to him. "Wait, I'm not staying here. I was told to go to Raphae-"

"Raphael Santiago, yes I know. Well, I hate to break it to you– because trust me, none of us like the idea either– but you're staying with us."

"What? Why!?"

"Umm..because it's safer. Duh."

"I can protect myself." I muttered, finishing my coffee.

"Sure you can."

My eyes met his and narrowed. "You wanna go pretty boy?"

His eyes gleamed with amusement and curiosity, but they were just as challenging. "Ready when you are, goblin."