XIII

"Hey Jace! Clary was wond-" The voice stopped as a brown haired boy no older than me came into view. He squinted at the two of us. "Who's that?" He asked, pointing to me.

"Simon, this is Athena. Athena, Simon." I furrowed my eyebrows when he used my real name. He knew I hated it.

Simon gave me a hopeful look. "Please tell me you're a Mundane too?"

I shot him a weird look with a hint of a smile. "You're normal?"

He scoffed. "Normal? My best friend fights demons and you ask me if I'm normal?"

I couldn't help but laugh. He just gave off that certain vibe that could put any person in a good mood. "And your best friend is.."

"Clary. I cannot believe she got herself caught up in all of this." He huffed as he rolled his eyes.

"She's a Shadowhunter." Jace defended. "Better she found out about this stuff sooner rather than later."

"Well someone's on their man period." Simon muttered and I chuckled. My good mood died a bit when I glanced at Jace to see his jaw clenched and his hands were balled in fists at his sides as he glared at Simon.

"So...Athena-"

"It's just Thea." I corrected falling into step with him as we began to head back.

"Well, Thea, how did you get caught up in this mess?"

I huffed. "Don't even get me started. One minute I was in Georgia, the next I was in a Warlock's home in Brooklyn. Ridiculous I tell you."

He blew out a breath. "Damn. Why did he bring you here?"

I don't know why I answered with what I did. Whenever Jace asked about anything related to my mother, I shut down. But for some reason, I was able to push all of those feelings away when I answered Simon. Jace made it personal and Simon was just...he wasn't curious about my past, he was just trying make since of this world he was introduced to.

"He said he owed a few favours to my mother." I shrugged. I heard Jace inhale a breath behind us.

"Damn, he knew your mom? So I'm going to guess you're not normal?"

"And you are?"

He shot me a sideways glance. "Touché."

"Well to answer your question, no. I don't believe I'm normal. I kind of set Clary on fire..by just looking at her.."

Simon stiffened but he kept on walking. "Why?"

"It was on accident, but she was pissing me off."

"Yeah, she pisses a lot of people off." Simon chuckled, the muscles in his back no longer tense. Jace snorted from behind us.

Simon moved closer to me and leaned into my ear. "If I tell you something, you promise not to say anything?"

"Jace likes Clary or Clary likes Jace?" I joked.

Simons head snapped back so he could look me in the eye. He was serious. "It's obvious right?!"

I pushed away the tiny pull at my heart upon hearing his words and glanced at Jace who was glaring at the ground. "I guess."

"You almost sound disappointed." Simon remarked.

You can't be with him anyway, Thea.

Jace looked up at that very moment and I snapped my head back to Simon. I offered the boy a small smile. "I'm elated they have each other."

"I beg to differ." Simon muttered under his breath.

✗✗✗✗

"We need to talk." Was the first phrase Jace had been able to say to me since three days ago when we almost kissed. It's not that he wasn't able to talk to me, I just kept leaving whenever he came around me. I wanted to talk to him, I really did, but I figured that maybe if I put distance between us, whatever feelings I had for him would go away.