XXXVII

Azel

I stared at the corpse before me, hollowness flooding through me as I'd realized what I'd done. Sure, I also felt exhilarated that I'd finally killed the bastard, but that other feeling...that feeling that flooded through my body like a river, enshrouding every bone as it passed...that was emptiness. It wasn't my first time taking a life– I'd done it twice the night Henric died, but...

And through it all, there was some part of me that wished I could've carried out the torture longer. I didn't push that part of me away– didn't push that demon away. I embraced her, welcomed her, and thanked her...thanked her for helping me get the weight of the world off my shoulders and being able to just breath– even if only for a few seconds.

"Very nice, Azel." Valentine purred from behind me.

And I made a decision right then and there. I turned to Valentine, let those black eyes rake over me– let him have a look at what he would never have. I ignored that pride in his eyes, pushed it away as if it were nothing but the dirt beneath my feet.

"Thea?"

I started at that voice. No– no, he was supposed to leave. I hadn't a clue if any of them spoke sign language, I just hoped that I could luck out– just this once. I hadn't missed Clary's fiery hair retreat, followed by Elias and Izzy. Why hadn't he just left?

Slowly I turned to face him, dangerously exposing my back to Valentine. But that didn't matter. What mattered was that he was there, still standing with Alec and Magnus while Val's minions realized that they remained and began to circle them. I knew what the look in my eyes let on, I knew they were full of hatred and disappointment as I stared him down, damning him to hell for staying. He should've left; I could've– would've– saved those Warlocks before I...

I couldn't bring myself to even voice my plans in my head– not yet.

Jace's eyes only gleamed as he stared back as if seeming to say, 'You're not getting rid of me so easily.'

But I saw what lay there, beneath that arrogant, cheeky, golden shimmer. He looked at me as if...as if staying here– staying for me– was worth it.

As if I was worth it.

I shook my head, momentarily forgetting everything around me. "You were supposed to leave." My voice cracked at the last word, but I didn't let any tears fall– didn't even let them rise. I'd cried and grieved enough throughout my life, but I was not in the mood for crying anymore– not as those stupid Circle members crowded the three people whom I'd somehow grown to care for. Not as Jace mouthed, 'Not you.' with that stupid, cocky smirk on his face as he prepared to fight.

"Don't tell me that you still care for him." Valentine scoffed as he moved to stand beside me, watching the scene fold out in front of him. My fists clenched at my side. "Don't act like there's anything left to care for, Azel, because I assure you, they do not care for you."

No, I was not in the mood for crying anymore. I was in the mood for chaos.

Within seconds, two men circling the trio had fallen to the ground, screaming. The demon inside me stirred, arising to asses the scene– to resolve how we could eliminate the threats. My eyes met those of the two men holding the Warlocks captive. I shot them a small smile before blowing out a small breath. Their skin glowed a brilliant orange before they fell to the ground– nothing but piles of ash. The warlocks fled with an order from Magnus.

Valentine was smart enough to not attack me, but the same couldn't be said for the petite girl who tried to sneak up behind me and put a knife to my throat. She tried to grab my neck, but her hand flew off and as I turned, I saw it red and blotchy. She snarled. "You burnt me, you bitch!"