Etiquette

Initiation was nearly over, we just had one more test which was apparently the most important. And to add the pressure, the other four Lords are going to attend. Lord Harry had been training me in secret. I can't help but wonder why he gives a damn but I'm not going to reject the extra help. The castle was bustling with preparations. The Lords were coming the very next day and Lord Harry was briefing us on the proper 'etiquette'. 

"When a Lord looks at you or passes, you bow. I'm just easier on all of you because if you bowed every time I looked at you, we'd never get anything done. Now you never look them in the eyes. It is seen as defiance and they have been known to kill for less. If they talk to one of you, which I highly doubt they will because you are initiate scum, you always respond with 'Yes, my Lord.' or ' No, my Lord." If you don't add 'My Lord' You are as good as dead." He said looking at me. I narrowed my eyes. He huffed and shook his head.

"The Lords, along with everyone in the castle, will be watching your final assessment. Now this time, the assessment will not be sprung on you. You will be facing one of the creatures from beyond the fence." 

People gasped and a few of the girls shrieked.

"Calm down." He said impatiently, "You won't be facing full grown ones. They will be wounded or sick but don't take that to mean that they can't kill." He warned.

"Now I'm going to show you a defence move. Piper come over here." He instructed. Everyone stared at me and I swallowed my nerves and stepped toward him.

"Jump when I charge." He said. I calmed down, I knew how to do this. The Lord charged at me and I jumped with all my might. As soon as I touched the ground I jumped back to find The Lord standing right where I had landed.

"See how she jumped back?" He said giving the rest of the initiates a stern glare, "You need to do that every time. Good job Piper."

I nodded and walked back to the group. After a few tries and slamming into Lord Harry, everyone could do it reasonably well. He must've expected us to pick it up quickly because after working on the jumping, we worked with weapons. It was pretty easy, I took a liking to a great sword which had a magnificent golden hilt with a Phoenix. This seemed to intrigue Lord Harry.

"When you are in the rings, you will have weapons but don't forget the hand to hand fighting we went over, you never know when a weapon might be knocked from your grasp. There will be no training tomorrow due to the Lord's arrival. You are all dismissed."