Preview

(Preview)

I heard the screeches coming in from outside of the castle walls, the scratches at the main gate, the huffs and groans of the vampires trying to keep them closed. We were failing, they were getting in. I almost chuckled when I remembered how my grandmother told me that it would be safe here. Harry saw me standing in the open and abandoned his attempts to help keep the gate shut. I could see how the others strained to push harder since Harry had left. He walked up to me.

"What are you doing here exposed! You do realize that they are on the other side of that gate and that if they get in, they'll recognize you in a second and kill you! I told you to stay put!" Harry ranted.

"HARRY!" I silenced him. His emerald eyes shot down to me.

"Liam said that the left wing's defences are almost down." I said gravely. His eyes flashed.

"That's it." He said. He seemed to be contemplating something. He opened his mouth to speak but Liam raced up to us. He looked terrible. He had a gash on his head which was bleeding profusely and his lip was torn. He had a black eye, his entire body was littered with cuts and gashes and he looked to have a few cracked ribs because his breathing was rough and labored.

"Liam!" He said in surprise.

"Vervain" he rasped.

Damn, they laced their teeth with vervain, he can't heal.

"What's happening? Sophie says that your defences are almost down?"

"Harry, there are no more defences. There's no one left. I alone escaped." He croaked. Harry's eyes went wide.

"Wh-what?" I said.

"They're in the castle." Liam rasped again.

"BLOCK OFF THE HALLWAY LEADING TO THE LEFT WING, THE HALLWAY AND THE MAIN GATE ARE NOW TOP PRIORITY" Harry screamed. Vampires flew from their original posts at the windows to help hold the giant door that closes off us from the left wing. I touched Harry's arm and he looked into my eyes. They were great orbs of fear and anger.

"Harry, we're going to win, everything will be okay." I reassured him. He chuckled darkly before turning very solemn.

"There are no happy endings for people like me."