Sunny

The bus ride there was quiet and and uneventful. We were driven by a muscular man with a buzz cut.

I hope they don't make us get buzz cuts.

I looked around and is seemed as if a few of the others were thinking the same thing as the girls were stroking the ends of their hair. A few people were misty eyed from saying their farewells to their families and for once, I was actually grateful that I didn't have a group of people that I would be leaving. Just Jake. I swallowed the lump in my throat at the thought of him and clutched my bag that held my very few belongings to my chest. We pulled into a driveway that led up to a massive castle. It looked intimidating and unwelcoming in an almost sinister way. The front gate opened and out stepped a tall muscular black man and a man who looked to be about twenty. I couldn't tell much about their descriptions from where I was sitting. The bus doors opened and people started shuffling out. I waited till almost everyone was out before I stood up and exited. We stood shoulder to shoulder as the three men examined us. The black man seemed to have a pretty nice attitude compared to the other two. The twenty year old was a lot more beautiful up close. It would seem as if he had an aura of grace and coordination. His mop of curls were dark brown and his eyes were the most penetrating green I've ever seen, I could've sworn I'd seen those eyes before. The only problem I could see with this perfect being is that he seemed to have a nasty temper.

"This is what you bring me?" He barked to the man with the buzz cut.

"Sir this was all there was." He replied. He didn't seem afraid...Just cautious. 

"What do you mean "This was all there was"? Did they just send the people who were to scrawny to be accepted anywhere else?"

"Sir, this is all we have." Buzz cut man replied slowly. The man with the curls pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Fine FINE! But none of these worthless dirt rags will make it past initiation." He snapped. I felt frustration bubble in me.

Who does he think he is?

" Calm down my lord, we'll see, " The black man said beaming at us, "Just give them a solid meal, you know they don't have much food in the city, and give them some rest. I'm sure that after a couple days, they'll be mighty fine soldiers." 

Lord? That's Lord Harry?

"Yes Uriah. And while they are resting, the creatures grow stronger and more ferocious!" He said while glowering at all of us. His dark eyes to lingered on me. I refused to back down. I don't care if he is a lord. I will not be disgraced. I held his gaze coldly. Refusing to look away. He looked slightly perplexed for just a moment before he went back to having his temper tantrum.

"It will be fine, my lord. You'll see!" Uriah said smiling. Uriah seemed to be much more confidant and calm than the man with the buzz cut, who couln't take his eyes off the ground. Lord Harry snorted and walked inside, slamming the main gate shut, which is pretty amazing since the thing is about thirty feet tall and about ten feet thick. I knew vampires were strong, but I didn't think they were that strongWith Harry gone, the buzz cut man grew more confidant. 

"ALRIGHT LISTEN UP!" He yelled.

"MY GOD JOHN, SHUT UP!" Uriah yelled back. John blushed a bit before he continued.

"Your initiation starts as soon as you walk through those doors. There is no going back if you do. You can still back out now and choose a different department." He stopped talking to give us a chance to back out. No one said a word.

"Alright then, follow me." He said. He pushed the gate open with the help of Uriah, even they had some difficulty. We walked into a giant room which had three stair cases and two doors on opposite sides. 

"Boys, to get to your dorms, take the staircase to the right. Girls take the left. The staircase in the middle is for the staff. You never go up there unless it's an emergency." Uriah explained.

"If you do, you'll regret it" John stated intimidatingly.

"Oh lighten up John. Alright, I'm sure the rules are pretty obvious, no boys in girl's rooms and vise versa. You will meet in the great hall at seven a.m. tonight for dinner." he said as he motioned to the door on the right, near the boy's staircase, "Alright" He clapped his hands, "DISPERSE!" he called good-naturedly and he ran up the staff stairs, followed by John. 

Everyone looked at each other as if they didn't know what to do. I shrugged, grabbed my bag, and walked up the girl's staircase. Everyone else took my lead and separated. The girls and I walked up three flights of stairs. I was slightly out of breath, while everyone else seemed to be dying from the exercise. I smirked at their physical struggles and opened the door at the top of the staircase. We walked into what looked to be a common room/lounge. It had three couches and four chairs. There was a fireplace on the right wall and a clock above it. There were three window which each had fantastic views of the mountains nearby. There were three stair cases, two leading up and one leading down. Since there were about ten of us, five went up the stairs to the left, while I led the the other five up the stairs to the right. We walked through another door and into a room that had six beds. The room was circular so the beds were placed in a circle. The beds were four-poster beds that had curtains which you could pull shut. In the center of the room was a heater. I walked to the bed farthest from the door and but my bag down. I then noticed bedside tables had been placed next to everyone's bed it had two drawers. The one on the bottom was bigger than the top. I opened both drawer. There was nothing in them. I opened my bag and pulled out my only six shirts and put them in the bottom drawer, then I pulled out my four pairs of pants and put them in the draw also. I carefully took out my gold locket, which I'm told was my mothers. I never could get the thing to open though. I placed it around my neck. I took my little mirror, toothbrush, toothpaste, and shower stuff and put them in the top drawer. I then pulled out the only thing I could ever play, my ukulele. It wasn't the best ukulele but when I was about eight, I was on a walk with Jake and we walked past the music store. There it was in the window. I wanted it so badly. So everyday, Jake and I would search the ground for abandoned change. And for some reason, there was always someone who would ask us what we were doing and would give us a bit of money for the ukulele cause. I stroked the strings gently. It made the happy sound that I could always listen to when I felt down. I placed it in my empty bag and put that under my bed. I walked down the stairs leaving the rest of the girls to struggle to fit all of their things into the two small drawers. I crossed the common room, which was filled with four girls talking and watching the fire, and stepped down the stairs leading down. It opened up to a bathroom with three showers, two sinks and five toilets. Walking back up the stairs, a girl bumped into me. She had strawberry blonde hair, freckles, and light blue eyes.

"Oh Sorry!" She said real chipper.

"It's okay" I muttered.

"I'm Sunny!" She said, ignoring my antisocial gesture.

Of course you are

"What's your name?" She asked.

"I'm, um. I-" I stuttered. I really didn't want anyone calling me Sophie. 

What's a good name, come on think. What's a good name, what's a good name?

"Piper" I finally blurted out.

"Nice to meet you Piper!" She chimed, holding out her hand.

"You too." I said unenthusiastically, giving it a shake. I may seem mean, but I didn't want to get attached to someone, only to have them ripped from me. I'd had enough of that. 

"I'd better go." I mumbled.

"Of course!" She giggled and she scampered down the stairs. I laughed a bit because of her joy and walked up the stairs. The girls from earlier had left so I sat in front of the fire and waited till seven came.