Chapter 25: Family Ties

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: FAMILY TIES

‒‒‒‒‒

Seven year-old Jay Akagi blew raspberries at his reflection, absolutely bored out of his mind. He disliked going to his grandfather's. There was always nothing fun to do. His grandfather owned one game and one game only: chess. After losing against Casper a dozen times, Jay decided that he disliked chess, too.

He shuffled his feet as he wandered the bustling mansion in search for something to do. Complete strangers walked to and fro, never having the time to chat with him. They barely gave him a glance before departing on their ways.

Maybe Papa loves blue hair, Jay mused, counting each step as he climbed the grand staircase. All those weirdos have blue hair. So does Cas, and all he does is read books. Papa's weird.

He trailed down the great hallway with the towering ceiling and navy carpeted floor, dragging his feet all the while. A wide door was positioned at the end, full of people he knew wouldn't want to see him. He opened the door anyway. The room fell silent, and Jay blinked.

"Jay, what are you doing here?"

An elder gentleman with finely trimmed, silver hair and deep-set wrinkles leaned down in front of him. Jay focused on the senior, ignoring the glares from the group until someone coughed. One of the most annoyed group members was his blue-haired uncle.

Jay tilted his head, staring curiously at his discontent uncle then diverting his attention to Papa. Blue-haired people are mean.

"I'm bored, Papa," he admitted, pouting. "Don't you have Pokémon I can play with? Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with a Cheri berry on top?" He made sure to bat his eyes for extra effect.

Papa waved at the adults. Behind Jay's back, murmurs erupted and they returned to their jobs.

"My Pokémon are busy," Papa said. Jay's frown deepened. "You must find something to do on your own. I'm occupied with my project."

He perked up immediately, excitement gracing his round features. "What project?"

"A project that will better the universe, Jay. No more conflict will transpire after I've fixed it. No more death and destruction nor violence and crime. All will be well in my utopia." Papa stood up and waved him off. "Now go entertain yourself."

Jay groaned as he left, barely catching an adult speaking to Papa on his way out saying, "Xander, I've come across a legend..."

* * *

The Poké Ball Factory was a ghost town.

Sassy crept to the sidewalk leading up to the entrance with a steady growl. No other car was parked in the lot. A steel cage sat before them, void of life and welcome. The once plentiful barrage of smoke pouring from the company's valves was absent. No person stirred in the tinted windows. Even for Laverre City, the vicinity felt greatly disturbing.

"Are y'all sure you want us to drop you off here?" Bailey asked, concerned. She glanced back at them, obviously reluctant with her upturned brows and dim smile. "I know we don't get along all fine and dandy, but it don't look like anybody's home."

Alice glanced at Jay who hesitated. Conflict flickered in his features. She wouldn't say it aloud, but she hoped he'd postpone his appointment with his icy half-sibling.

"Cas told me it's important that I come by," he finally said, faking a confident grin. She knew it was forced; the excitement didn't reach his eyes. "We'll be fine."