Chapter 18: The Right Direction

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: THE RIGHT DIRECTION

‒‒‒‒‒

Ken was, to put it simply, suspicious.

He didn't know what occurred between Jay and Alice whilst he was battling, but whatever transpired left a strong impression on Alice. Her nervous habits from when he first met her—hair tugging, clothing adjustment, the inability to make eye contact—came back in full swing. She'd stare out into space then turn red if her concentration was broken. He'd watch her with an unamused expression as she let out excuse after excuse.

It raised various questions in the blond. What caused her to regress? Was it Jay? Or was Ken the source of the problem? Why did she shy away from him?

Ken's subconscious glare burned into her back as the group of five headed to Reflection Cave. Alice talked with Bailey and even Dan, giggling shyly whenever they began shouting. He narrowed his gaze.

"Want sunglasses? I have an extra pair in my bag."

He shook his head as Jay rummaged through his backpack. "I'm fine."

Jay shrugged. "Suit yourself, Kenny."

"Your nicknames are ridiculing."

"You're wrong, but whatever you say, Hotshot."

Ken's perspective on the other had changed overnight. Jay displayed more intellect than he'd thought possible when he told Ken about his theories concerning the book series. They'd spent hours discussing their opinions.

"Jay," he called.

Jay perked up at the mention of his name, reminiscent of an enthusiastic, hyperactive Eevee pup. "Yeah?"

"Yesterday," Ken began, selecting his words carefully, "while I was battling, you said something that affected Alice's behavior."

The glare Alice shot him the day before haunted the taller boy's mind. He tried to laugh the accusation off. "I made a joke about her height."

"You said more than that."

"Not really. When I called her short, she kind of fell on the ground. I don't know why. Girls are loco. She's hanging out with Bailey 'cause she's short, too. Give her a day and she'll be back to normal." Jay finished his lie with a charming smile, his practiced acting skills deceiving the other.

Ken pursed his lips and glanced at the girl in question, remaining quiet. The person he would confess to was the one blocking him out. It felt... disheartening. He liked sharing his thoughts aloud with someone other than his Pokémon. Unlike Alakazam, Alice gave him feedback rather than waving spoons at him then leaving to meditate. However, imagining her mimicking his Alakazam's behavior did cause him to grin.

Jay bit his bottom lip. His attempt to be oblivious to problem he caused had failed. There's no way I just ruined their friendship by making things awkward, right? They're smarter than that, right? Ah, shit. I should fix this. Operation: Make Things Un-awkward Between Two Awkward People go.

* * *

"Welcome to Reflection Cave!" Dan exclaimed, throwing out his arms. "It's famous for its crystals that act like real mirrors. Rumors say that if you touch them then you'll be sucked into the Mirror World where everything's opposite. That's why the signs say 'don't touch'."