Chapter 9: So It Begins

CHAPTER NINE: SO IT BEGINS

‒‒‒‒‒

One day before the Double Battle Brawl, Alice and Ken traveled to Lumiose City for the information briefing. They walked side by side through the streets as they waited for the clock to hit noon, trying to pass time. Eventually Alice's stomach rumbled and Ken suggested getting lunch.

Alice bought their meals with the money given to her, and Ken carried their tray to their table. They sat in a sunny spot near massive windows overlooking the deli's front sidewalk. Alice divvied up their food and the trainers dug in at once. The air between them was quiet, comfortable even.

The brunette stole glances at Ken while she ate, comparing him now to how he acted a week ago. She found no remnants of the pressuring intensity he exuded in days past. It made her cringe on the inside as she remembered how bad of a start they had with each other.

Ken broke her train of thought as he prompted her, "Why are you staring at me?"

Alice blinked. "Huh?"

"Do I have food on my face? You've been staring at me for the past two minutes," he said, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

Without her even realizing it, Alice's glances had come to a standstill as she stared directly at Ken. He ignored it at first, but the longer her analytic gaze lingered on him the more perplexed he became. Having someone his age stare him down was foreign to him.

"Oops, sorry, I didn't mean to. I kind of zoned out," Alice explained, giving a sheepish chuckle as her cheeks warmed.

Ken gave a small nod, accepting her answer. The last time she zoned out she walked into a pole, earning her a red spot on her forehead. That reminded him of a certain Pokémon.

"There's a Pachirisu that tries to infiltrate my bedroom every morning," he mentioned.

She shrugged. "The rodent Pokémon in the daycare are crazy. I can help you take care of it later."

The bell hanging onto the entrance's door jingled as it swung open, grabbing their attention. A fit, tanned man with his hair tied up in a bun strolled in. Behind him trailed a slightly older man who wore a floral tracksuit.

Man-Bun Man took a deep breath and beamed at his companion. "Dude, I heard Kalos has the best food after Unova."

Tracksuit Man set his hands on his hips. "Amazing."

"I know right? I'm super pumped." Man-Bun Man tilted his head back, laughing. "You order first, I need to find a toilet." Much to Alice's and Ken's surprise, he walked to them. "Alola! Do you two know where I can take a whiz? I've been holding it in forever."

Alice fought back giggles and held her hand to her mouth to hide her fascinated grin. She couldn't believe this man was real.

"The bathroom's the final door down the hallway," she answered.

"Thanks, man." Man-Bun Man flashed Ken a peace sign then left the table.

Alice raised her eyebrows as he left and set her cheek in her hand. "Have you ever met someone from Alola?"

"Not until today," Ken replied.

They finished their food without any further intrusions and Ken put their tray up. Before Alice could join him at the door, Man-Bun Man sat down across from her with his friend beside him. She paused her movement and Ken arched an eyebrow, wordlessly asking her what was going on. Alice's tiny head shake of her head told him she had no idea why the two men decided to sit at her table when literally every other table in the deli was open.