Chapter 11: The Past is Past

CHAPTER ELEVEN: THE PAST IS PAST

‒‒‒‒‒

There was only half the initial amount of people in the waiting room when Alice and Ken arrived. The volume had died down, and duos were murmuring to each other quietly in separate corners. Much to their distress, the excitement of the fellow trainers had turned into an infectious anxiety.

Replays of the previous battles showed on the televisions overhead, highlights appearing as commentators gave their remarks. It took an hour for Ken's and Alice's clip to pop up.

"...look at that Infernape. He's absolutely massive!" One of the commentators gasped as the camera zoomed in on Infernape. "You can see his muscles rippling with every movement. How long do you think his trainer's been preparing for this?"

"She's must've trained harder than anyone else here," the other replied, chuckling. "This Infernape makes a Machoke look puny."

Alice furrowed her brows. "Infernape's not that big." She turned to Ken. "Right?"

"He's twice the size of a normal Infernape," Ken replied.

The brunette went back to watching the recaps. It featured Infernape's final blow to Exeggutor, the Fire-and-Fighting-type yelling in victory when the Alolan fainted at his feet. She beamed at the sight of her Pokémon jumping in excitement and pride swelled within her. That was her Infernape being praised on national television. It was she and Ken who won the match.

The mirth in Alice's gaze dissipated as the final battle's clips were played. Her quirked lips drooped and pursed into an even line. She stopped her fidgeting and came to a speechless halt.

A pink-haired girl laughed on the screen, bouncing on the heels of her feet and cheering on her metallic Rapidash. She called out instructions with the utmost confidence, her ruby eyes sparkling when her Pokémon carried out moves with no troubles. The commentators praised the teenager more than her Rapidash.

"Alice... Alice... Alice." Ken sighed then shook his companion's shoulder, yanking Alice out of her trance. She stared blankly at him and he frowned. "What's the matter?"

"It's nothing, really," she mumbled.

"Don't lie."

"I don't want to talk about it in public."

Alice was thankful he left it at that. The commentators appeared on-screen and announced that they had the results in for what duos were paired up to battle in the second round. She dug her nails into the small bag she brought and leaned forward in anticipation.

Please, Arceus, please, she begged.

"...Alice and Ken Bristow versus Rosie Leroy and Grayson Wrys!"

The bag tumbled off of Alice's lap and onto the floor with a soft thud. She didn't move. She couldn't move. Her wide-eyed gaze remained locked on the photo of her upcoming opponents.

"Let the second round begin!" the announced cheered, his delighted voice eons away from the dazed girl.

"Alice," Ken repeated.

Nothing.

He stood in front of her, blocking the TV. "It's our turn to battle."

"Um, okay," she said.

Alice followed Ken out of the room without saying anything. She could've held a better conversation if she'd swallowed a cotton ball. Her gaze trained on her feet and she studied the tile flooring. The two came to a standstill at the doors that led out to the battling stage.