Chapter 17

------------------------------

"Come in, child. We have much to talk about."

------------------------------

Hesitantly, I walk into their house and look around. The lead me to their living room, which is fitted with five pieces of furniture. After everyone sits down, the pureblood beside Maria, an awkward silence reigned down. One minute of silence... five minutes of silence... ten minutes of silence... Hey lady, didn't you say 'we have much to talk about'? So, where is the talking?!?!

Suddenly, ZVT walks in the room carrying a platter with three cups of tea. He places a cup in front of each of us, except himself, and backed away so that he was standing to the right of and a little behind the pureblood. I take a small sip of the offered tea, and then begin the conversation.

"So... now can someone tell me who ZVT... err... the grey haired man is?"

At my question, ZVT seems to lift his guard and the two vampires look at me curiously. Maria seems more confused about the whole 'ZVT' name I gave the guy, and the pureblood seems more confused about why I wanna know about the guy.

"This guy is my bodyguard, Ichiru Kiryu. May I ask why you are so persistent in knowing his identity?"

"Kiryu... say, you wouldn't happen to have a twin brother named Zero, would you?"

At my question, the entire room's atmosphere stiffens. ZV- *Ahem* Ichiru instantly stiffens while the pureblood, still don't know her name, looks at me with even more interest. ...Perhaps I should have asked Zero about his family... but then again... when would have been an appropriate time?!?! The pureblood releases me from my mental conversation with another question.

"You know Zero?"

"So, I guess that was an affirmative to my question... oh, and I know Zero! We're friends... I think. I dunno, I consider him my friend, and I think he considers me a friend too... *Sigh* I guess that's another question I'll have to ask him when I next see him."

"Oh? Interesting... him befriending a vampire... Speaking of which, what is with your aura? It is not that of one I would see around a vampire..."

Nope, not about to tell some random pureblood my other secret. I'm just your everyday pureblood... no demon in me... nope, not a vamon at all...

"...I'm a pureblood, it's not that hard to manipulate one's aura so that others can't tell. I like to do this so that the other vampires around me can't tell my true identity... Purebloods are too closely monitored. ...Speaking of which, why don't you seem to be so closely monitored?"

"Some... incidents happened. I don't much appreciate being closely monitored as well."

"Oh. So... why is ZVT yo- *Sigh* why is Ichiru your bodyguard and not with Zero?"

"After a certain incident, he decided to go with me and we left his brother."

"...Now that you mention it, you took a very human Ichiru with you after a certain incident. A slowly becoming Level E Zero is not taken with his brother by you, a pureblood. Only purebloods can make Level E's, and, from my knowledge, most purebloods are being monitored. So, help me understand this better, but you wouldn't happen to have anything to do with Zero's current condition... would you?"

"Whether I have anything to do with that has nothing to do with you."

A silent flame of rage begins to build up at her words. Nothing to do with me? Zero is my friend! Furthermore, turning someone into a Level E is worse than just killing them straight up! That is why I have always been careful about who I feed off of. I refuse to feed off of a human; that way, I don't end up accidently condemning them to a fate of going insane and killing others.