Thirty

1 week later
~~~~

I lay on his bed, my head on the pillow that he used to rest his. The pillow he will never touch again.
Under the quilt that will never keep him warm again.
I had already closed the curtains blocking all light out. I was consumed in darkness just like him. Only I would re-open my eyes. I could still breath. I was still alive.
Tears welled up in my eyes. I haven't been able to hold him long and now I never will again. He is dead gone forever.
I had told him to be safe, I wished he hadn't left. No going back now.
All I felt was coldness, hatred and numbness.
He was gone and there was nothing I could do.
Then there was a knock on the door, I wished it was him. But that wasn't possible he was dead.
"Come in" I almost whispered through the tears.
His maid walked in, I could tell he was also sad. She looked at me before wearing smiling.
"He In trusted me..." she began. "Please" I began. No one could say anything that would make me feel better.
"Miss, listen. He in trusted me with this letter. He said I was to tell no one and only give you it... if he didn't make it back. This was the only letter he had written and it's addressed to you" she stated.
I reached out and my shaky hand took the letter. She was about to leave but I called her back and asked her to wait with me as I read it. She gladly agreed and sat next to me.
I opened it and careful looked at it. His hand writing was so neat. In fact it was the first time I saw it. Most probably the last.
I took and deep breath and began reading
Dear Kimberly
If your reading this then I didn't make it back. I'm very sorry.
I know you told me to be safe and I tried my best. I wanted to make it home to you. You haven't been in my life that long and we haven't always got along but I do truly love you. I hope you all the best in life. I won't be able to share it with you but always remember me. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to write. Good bye my Kimberly
Love from

I couldn't even bare to say his name. It was too hard
I grabbed the maid and hugged her, she hugged me back both of us crying.
I love you too