56- I Found God

Začať od začiatku

"Okie-dokie."

I press my lips into a firm line to stop myself from getting emotional. I don't want to cry in front of Satan over here.

"Eves," she says gently, but she is anything but gentle, "I've changed."

I almost scoff. It doesn't seem like it.

"Really?"

"Mmhm." Tonia nods. "I've already apologized to you, but words can't express how ashamed and embarrassed I am." I would believe her if she didn't have such a strange tone to her voice, like she is acting and reading off a script behind me.

"I'm gonna leave now-"

"No wait!" She screeches, grabbing me hard. I wince in pain and she immediately lets go.

"I was a wild animal. I really am sorry." Tonia pouts.

I raise an eyebrow at her while rubbing my sore arm. "Why should I believe you? You tried to kill me."

"I know! But I really have changed." This sounds familiar. Sounds a lot like Millie. Another Millie.

"You tried to kill me." I repeat through gritted teeth.

Tonia digs for something in her pocket and I'm not gonna lie, I almost take off running. I expect a pocket knife to stab me to death but then again, would dying right now be that bad?

To a mixture of disappointment and relief, she doesn't pull out a knife but a gold necklace. I stare as she holds it by the chain, letting the cross dangle from the ends.

"I found God." She says quietly as if it is a secret. The cross stops swinging and lays against her wrist.

I mean no disrespect, but has she really changed? Or is this some kind of set up to make me believe her?

"Growing up, I was never taught about religion. My family just didn't care about that shit, so neither did I. But in max my bunkmate was really into the whole Jesus thing and every night I would hear her pray. It was annoying at first because they went for an hour, sometimes more, but I finally decided to listen one night and yeah, it just changed my whole perspective."

"And honestly, I didn't come back for you. I came back because I know that there's a nun here, but I forgot her name."

"Sister Ingalls." I answer.

Tonia smiles at me, running her thumb across the chain. "Can you take me to her?"

It takes me a few moments to decide. If she's serious about this, then I guess that's good. It means she will stay out of trouble.

I sigh before standing up. "Follow me." I murmur and take the lead.

"SISTER," WITHOUT ANY warning, Tonia overlaps her arms around Sister's shoulders and I'm in the best position to see her reaction. Sister is completely shocked but she is too gentle to shove Tonia away.

If I knew she was going to go in for a hug right away, I would have taken her to someone else just so that she could get her ass beat.