9- Fairy Fucking Godmother

"PASS ME THAT screwdriver, please." Nicky says from the top of the four-step-ladder. I turn to the kit and pull out a red handled screwdriver. Nicky reaches down and grabs it from my hand, before standing up straight again and sticking the screwdriver into a loose screw.

As we had planned for me to work with Nicky until I get the hang of things, today Nicky and I were sent to go a light panel on the ceiling in the laundry room.

"And that's when I heard something fall, and I looked down and saw one of the screws had come loose and the panel was hanging down!" Angie said as she dramatically told the story of discovering that the panel had come off. "I could of died!"

"That would be a shame." Nicky replies blandly as she concentrates on fixing the panel, showing no interest in Angie at all. I hold in my laugh.

Watching Angie and Leanne gave me memories of Chelsea and I at work- joking and laughing, slacking off at certain times but still getting the job done. I was kind of hurt that Chelsea hadn't visited me. Even Millie still hadn't visited me, but that was only because she still needed to get the paperwork done.

But, out of all the people in my life, my mother visited me. I'd rather have no visitors than ever see her step foot in this place ever again.

"All done." Nicky announces as she climbs down the ladder and begins folding it up. I return the screwdriver to the kit and pack it up.

When Nicky said that she'd forget what happened, she really meant it. She's been acting like she never reacted that way or that she was angry at me for a few moments for reasons still unknown to me. I guess it was kind of a good thing as the last thing I need are enemies in prison.

As we walk out of the laundry room, I can't help but sing a song in my head. It hits me how much I miss music, and I think of all the possible new songs and celebrity news I'm missing out on in here.

"What's up, kid?" Nicky asks, walking backwards to see me.

I shrug. "I feel so isolated in here, like I'm missing out on all the new things happening outside of here. The world is still spinning and we're trapped in this place while everyone outside live their normal lives."

"You miss music, don't you?" Nicky states. I widen my eyes at her.

"How did you know?" Nothing I said related to music.

"Cause' I've been in the same place as you. But hey, I've got great news." She says and I look up at her interested. "We have radios!"

"Wait, are you serious?!" I whisper-yell. I don't know if it's illegal to have those in here or not.

"They sell them at commissary. You're allowed." I remember seeing Nicky pull out earphones and a small metal object but I had no idea that was a radio. I thought it was an ebook or something.

"If you want, you can borrow it whenever." Nicky suggests and I smile.

"I'd love that." I reply.

Nicky turns back around to face the way we are walking. I can't wipe off the excitement from my face. I never thought I'd be so excited to listen to the radio.

As we walk, I see Tricia approaching us. She's also holding a kit to go do some electrical work as well. I notice that she's got some colour back in her face.

I run ahead of Nicky and towards her, practically jumping on top of her. I wasn't expecting her to be up and running again for a long time, and knowing she was better made me so happy.