17- Happy Early Christmas

I TAKE A quick glance at the tiny piece of paper in my hand, reading over the ingredients quickly before shoving it back in the pocket of my shirt. I recite them over and over again in my head until I'm one hundred percent sure it's stuck as I make my way to the kitchen.

It's so early in the morning that it's still dark and the lights are on in the hallway and dorms. I usually sleep in for another hour or two, until I only have ten minutes before I have to be up for breakfast and then work. But this morning, I decided to wake up early so that I can gather the ingredients needed for Red's present before the kitchen gets too busy.

I yawn as I turn the corner and enter the empty cafeteria. Not many inmates are up right now, only those on kitchen duty and inmates who generally like to wake up early. I'm not one of those people.

When I enter the kitchen, I'm surprised to see a bunch of new faces in a new environment. The Latinas scramble around as they try and follow the orders from Gloria. She looks stressed as she unpacks a box of vegetables aggressively. And I thought Red was bossy.

"Qué estás haciendo aquí?" She says once she notices my presence.

"Sorry. I don't speak Spanish." I say nervously. She rolls her eyes before turning her attention back to the cutting board in front of her.

"I said, what are you doing here? If you're here to work, I suggest you grab an apron and hair net, and get a move on."

"I just need to borrow a few ingredients to make a face mask for someone. I promise I won't use too much." I say.

Gloria chops the onions ferociously. I blink every time the knife hits the surface of the board.

"You have less than five minutes before I want you out of here." She says but she doesn't sound as mean anymore, kind of like she has gave in or something.

I nod before rushing over to the fridge. My teeth chatter as the cold air radiating from the inside of the fridge hits me. I grab some plain yoghurt, eggs and honey before wandering around looking for some oatmeal.

"Where's Red?" I ask when I reach Gloria again.

"Don't matter. This is our kitchen now." She replies and I wonder what I've missed while I've been gone for 48 hours.

Gloria glances at me quickly and notices me standing around looking lost. "What're you looking for?"

"Do you have any oatmeal?"

Gloria scoffs a laugh. "Oatmeal? Why would we have oatmeal?"

"Damn it." I mutter under my breath when I realise that this face mask might not work.

"But you can try sugar. It's just as exfoliating as oatmeal." She says and I feel hope flicker inside of me again.

She leads me to a container and stands nearby as fill up the jar in my hand with sugar. I grab a spoon and mix all the ingredients together until it is all combined into a off-putting mush.

"Why didn't your mother never teach you to speak Spanish?" She suddenly asks and I feel uncomfortable having to talk about Jocelyn's life choices.

"I don't know, she just didn't want my father to get his own way, I guess." I don't look up at Gloria and keep my attention on stirring the mixture in the jar.

"Good for her, sticking up for herself. Wish I could've done the same thing." She mutters the last part under her breath and I try not to ask any questions.