4- Like A Vacation

INSIDE THE KITCHEN reminded me of the diner- the chefs running around like headless chickens, trying to multitask and clean and cook at the same time. That was what was happening at the back of the kitchen here at the prison

A woman in a white outfit specifically created for chefs stands in the middle of the room yelling at the other workers with her thick Russian accent. She has short yet thick fiery red hair and her makeup was strange but suited her well.

"Red, this is Evie." Nicky says and I feel myself edging towards Nicky for some reason. By the sound of her voice and the way Piper warned me about her, I felt a bit scared.

Red turns around, her snarl dropping when she sees Nicky and I. I give a small smile which she returns to my relief.

"Newbie, huh?" Red says, referring to my orange outfit.

"Yeah, just a day old." Nicky comments as if I'm a newborn. "This is my mom. Well, not mom by blood, but she takes care of us."

I nod in a understanding way. "Us?"

"You know, the group at the table. And now you." Nicky nudges me with her elbow and I stumble a bit.

"How do you like the food, Evie?" Red asks and she stands proudly in her kitchen.

Piper's words echo through my head. "I didn't think prison would serve such good food." I say and Red chuckles at my compliment.

"Here, for you." She reaches into her pocket and pulls out yoghurt. She tosses it towards me and I catch it, trying not to show how happy I am for it or else she will know I don't like the food that much.

"Thank you."

"A yoghurt's a big deal. It means you're officially part of the family." Nicky says.

"So, what job have you been assigned to?" Red asks, folding her apron neatly and taking off her hat.

"Job?" I didn't know we had jobs. I thought this would be like a vacation.

"You wouldn't know yet, but you'll find out by tomorrow when you're moved out of that cell." Nicky says.

"What job do you do?"

"I'm in electrical even though I barely knew how to change a lightbulb. But you learn." Nicky throws her arm around my shoulders in a friendly way.

"Connor!" A manly voice exclaims from behind me and I evidently flinch at his loudness. Nicky and I turn around, her arm still around me, to face a tall CO who had a short moustache. "You're being moved from your bunk and you need to change your clothes."

"Well, that was quick." Nicky says as she removes her arm. "See you in the dorms, kid."

THE MUSIC WAS deafening, but I didn't care. The place was crowded with sweaty body grinding together to the music and I even saw a few people hooking up in the corner of the room.

Everyone looked happy- and that made me happy.

I turn my head to look at Poussey, who is scanning the crowd with her eyes. Georgia, the girl who was with Poussey in the morning, is already lost in the crowd, dancing away.

"Do you want to get some drinks?" Poussey asks me. I'm a bit taller than her, so she has to look up to make eye contact.

"Yeah, sounds good." I follow her to the bar area, where it is secluded from the dance floor and there aren't a lot of people.