23- Tough As Nails

I'M SITTING IN front of freedom. It's calling for me, but my body doesn't want to listen. I run my hand down my face as I stare at the gap under the fence. I could leave this place right now, grab Millie and hitchhike to another state, maybe even country.

This place is slowly killing me. I've realised that I really can't trust anyone and I'm losing my mind. I'm seeing things that aren't there and I'm scared. Maybe it's worth attempting to escape and if I get caught, hopefully be sent to a different prison.

I crawl forward towards the fence and lift the bottom of it up a little. I glance behind me to make sure no ones around. They're still inside, watching the show. It's night time and the dark usually freaks me out, but I wouldn't mind being taken by whatever's lurking in the woods right now.

It's a painful squeeze going through that gap as the broken wires dig into your skin and head. I grunt as I pull my whole body through, and my legs slide out easily.

I stand up and stare at the prison on the other side of the fence. I scoff as I realise I've pretty much escaped already.

I slowly turn around to face the dark woods. My boots crush the leaves and bark on the ground and my heart skips a beat, thinking it is coming from something else.

I inhale and exhale through my mouth, watching my breath fog up in front of me.

And then I start running.

I glance behind me every two seconds as I run past the trees, having no idea where I'm going. Everywhere I look, looks the same. I just keep going straight.

I see lights in the distance and run faster, pushing past branches sticking out in front of me. I come to a halt when I reach a curvy road that I recognise driving on when I was on my way to prison.

My stomach churns at the sight of the city in the distance. I glance down at my uniform that symbolises a crime committed, and realise that I'll be caught before I even reach Millie.

My scream is cut off by a hand clasped around my mouth as I'm pulled back. I collapse against someone on the ground, still screaming and twisting my whole body as I try to get away.

"Hey! It's me, it's me!" I stop screaming and the hand is removed. I gasp for air as I scurry to my feet, placing a distance between Nicky and I.

Nicky stands up as well, looking just as angry as I am.

"What are you doing here?!" I yell, forgetting that we could be caught in any moment.

"I saw you go through the fence. What the fuck were you thinking? There was a CO just a few feet away and I had to distract him for you."

I can hear my heartbeat in my ears. I'm trembling out of both fear and anger.

I turn my head to glance at freedom one last time.

I can't do this. I don't want to break any rules no more. I don't want an extended sentence, even though I'm already doing eight years. And I don't want to move to another prison, even though I'm not in the best place with some people at the moment. Who knows how much worse other prisons are.

"Evie, I know you hate me right now and you deserve to, but I really want you to understand that it was never a game for me."

"Are you really gonna do this right now!?" I place a hand on my chest and take a few deep breaths in. I still haven't recovered. A lot of things have happened to me today.