Chapter 113

"What about this one?" Jess asked, holding up a cave woman costume.

Makenna shook her head. "No, I want to be a princess for Halloween."

Overhearing, Natalie was in the next aisle and found a fluffy pink princess costume that she suspected a certain little girl would love. Finding the right size, she plucked it from the rack and rounded the corner. "Makenna, how about this?"

Makenna looked up and her mouth dropped open. Recovering quickly, she ran to Natalie. "Yes! I love this! Mom, can I get it?"

Jess laughed at the enthusiasm that spilled from his daughter. "I don't think she'll be able to tell you no, kid! To the checkout, we go!"

Natalie watched as her husband reached for Makenna's hand and the two skipped down the main aisle toward the registers. She found joy at the sight, knowing they'd struggled hard to get to this point.

The vibrating feeling in her purse startled her. She shifted the costume under her arm and reached inside for her phone. Shelia was calling. Fearing something was wrong, she quickly took the call.

"Hello?"

"Natalie, hi. It's Shelia. Do you have a minute?"

"Sure." Natalie slowed her gait, allowing for Jess and Makenna to make plenty of headway.

"We have taken custody of a four month old boy. He is currently in the hospital with several broken bones and some internal bleeding. Once he is released, would you and Jess be willing to foster him?"

Stunned, Natalie stopped. "Uh, I'll need to talk to Jess. Do we have a little time that we would discuss it and get back to you?"

"That's fine. I only ask that you let me know as soon as possible so we can try to find someone else if you decide against the placement."

"Thank you."

Even without talking to Jess, Natalie already knew the answer. They would soon to be parents to a little boy too.

*****

"A watermelon?" Lorelai asked.

Rory nodded. "Yes, Lora is a watermelon for Halloween. Look at her. You can't deny that she is awfully cute!"

"Yes, I agree that she is. But why a watermelon? Why not a baby astronaut or something more creative?"

"More creative like Ricky and Lucy Ricardo?" Rory asked, gesturing to her twin siblings.

"Yes! You know how long it took to get these kids dressed up like this?" Lorelai spent over an hour dressing the twins because they seemed to have a pact to alternate creating dirty diapers or grabbing off their wigs. She finally made it work by putting a hat on each baby's head to help eliminate the tickling she suspected was bothering them.

"Be thankful I agreed to come at all. I think it's pretty obvious that these babies aren't going to be enjoying the candy we'll end up with tonight."

"Hey, I took you trick or treating every single year, regardless of your age."

"And I'm sure you ate most of the candy haul the first few years."

Lorelai laughed. "Guilty as charged. And now I have a whole new batch of candy to score with these two adorable kids!"

Rory shook her head and turned her attention to the path in front of her.

*****

Luke grumbled, surveying the scene near the gazebo from his stance behind the diner's counter. Why did anyone think it was a good idea to dress kids in asinine costumes and beg strangers for candy? Didn't they know people preyed on kids on this ludicrous holiday every year? Why put them in the cross hairs?

Shaking his head, two mothers pushing strollers caught his attention.

Lorelai and Rory.

"You've got to be kidding me!"

Luke moved out from behind the counter and to the window to get a better look. He watched as both women swung the strollers around, affording him a sight of his twins dressed like those blasted characters from I Love Lucy and Lora being paraded around as a watermelon. Townsfolk began milling around his wife and step-daughter, no doubt mentioning how cute the babies looked.

Yes, they might look cute but why in the world didn't Lorelai tell him she was taking their three month old's trick or treating? And in the cool, Connecticut air?

"You've got to be kidding me!" Luke repeated again.

The door opened, admitting Babette into the diner. "Hey Luke, your kiddos look adorable! Did you help Lorelai pick the costumes?"

Luke shook his head. "No, I had no idea Lorelai even planned to take them out tonight. She mentioned nothing to me."

Shrugging, Babette took a seat at the counter. "Oh well, they're cute nonetheless."

"Yeah," Luke agreed halfheartedly.

*****

Jess tucked Makenna into bed, well after her normal bedtime.

No argument that it was well worth the deviation, he thought as he recalled the joy on the little girl's face as she danced around the sidewalk with her yellow canvas candy bag. Nearly everyone they encountered commented on how precious she was. He certainly had to agree.

Returning to the living room, Jess found Natalie sitting on the couch with her legs up under herself, nursing a cup of hot chocolate. The look on her face mirrored how he felt.

"Wasn't she so much fun tonight?"

Nodding, Jess agreed. "It seems like she is coming out of her shell more and more every day."

Natalie swung her legs out, turning to make it easier to look at Jess.

"So are we going to take the baby?"

"I want to. My only fear is how Makenna would react."

Natalie thought for a moment. "I think she'd enjoy having a baby in the house."

"For a while, yes. But who knows how she would feel once the honeymoon phase was over."

"Are you having a baby?" Makenna asked, stepping into the living room.

Neither Jess nor Natalie heard Makenna's bedroom door open or her footsteps in the hall. They exchanged looks, both clearly thinking they should let her opinion weigh on the decision made.

"Come here, honey." Jess scooted over to allow room for Makenna to sit in between the adults. "We aren't having a baby but Shelia called us today about taking in a baby boy who needs a home. What do you think?"

The light in Makenna's eyes dulled. "Are you going to get rid of me if you take the baby?"

Jess shook his head. "Absolutely not. You're ours no matter what."

"You'll always have a home here, sweetie. No other child will ever change that."

Makenna was quite for a few minutes. "Is it true that people only ever want babies and that they're stuck with kids like me?"

Jess' heart broke at the question. "Where did you hear that?"

"My mean mommy told me that. She said that no other parents will ever want me. She said that everyone wants babies so I'll only be kept until a baby comes along, then I'll be sent somewhere else."

Natalie's eyes filled with tears. "Makenna, you will one day share our last name. That means that we will always be your parents, no matter if other kids come into our home or not. Nothing will ever change that."

Jess and Natalie both leaned over and squeezed the little girl, hoping it would convey to her how important she was. Jess kissed the top of her head before asking, "So does this mean that you don't want us to take the baby in?"

Makenna laid back against the couch, a small smile forming on her lips. "I want you to take him. He needs a Mommy and Daddy, just like I did."

For the second time in a matter of minutes, Natalie teared up.

Jess knew deep in his heart that Natalie was meant to be Makenna's mom.

Nothing could make him doubt it.