Chapter 60

After hanging up with Dr. Whitley, Lorelai grabbed her coat and slowly walked to the inn's front door. She told no one she was leaving; she simply climbed in her car and began driving.

Pointing the Jeep toward Luke's Diner, the familiar roads proved to be soothing as Lorelai didn't have to think to find her way there. Which was a good thing since, right now, Lorelai could not think. Her mind was a big ball of confusion as she tried to process that she was having twins. Two babies.

Parking at the curb in front of Luke's, Lorelai opened the Jeep's door and silently ordered her legs to move. Once inside, she searched for her husband but came up short. He was nowhere to be seen. Customers sat at various tables, some with plates of food in front of them and others with nothing. Many sounds fought for a leading role but Lorelai heard none of them.

Caesar emerged from the kitchen and saw her standing there, immobile. He moved closer, nudging her with his arm. "If you're looking for Luke, he's up in the apartment with Tom."

Focusing on reaching the stairs, Lorelai once again had to mentally instruct her legs to move her body in that direction. As she climbed the steps ever so slowly, her mind raced at what Luke's reaction would be. She could easily recall the panic when Dr. Williams mentioned that the fertility drugs may result in having multiples. Well, twins were certainly fell into that category.

How in the world could she tell Luke that she was carrying two babies?

Steeling herself, she stood motionless outside the apartment door. She had to get her mind in order because her confusion would only play into Luke's reaction.

As prepared as she was ever going to be, Lorelai gripped the doorknob and pushed it open.

Luke and Tom were standing in the middle of the completely demolished apartment. No walls interfered with her line of sight. Studs were visible and the windows were papered over. This place looked so different than the last time she'd been up.

The last time she'd been up here, she very well had conceived the baby. No, babies, as in two.

And we're back to the reason for the impromptu visit.

"Oh, hey Lorelai. I'll be out of your hair in just a minute." Tom gave her a wave of sorts, flicking his wrist in her general direction.

"No— it's— you're— there—" Stop talking, you're not even making sense, she commanded herself.

Neither of the men seemed to notice her stammering.

"The plan sounds good, Tom. Hopefully Emily will decide on a layout quickly so that we can get moving on this."

Tom turned and began walking toward the door. He chuckled to himself as he muttered, "I still don't know how much of a moron a guy has to be to voluntarily offer a nearby apartment to his mother-in-law."

Lorelai stuttered a little more before clamping her mouth shut as Tom closed the door.

Luke seemed to notice this time. He crossed the room and kissed Lorelai's cheek as he reached her. "Hey, you okay?"

"Well, funny you should ask...."

Luke looked at her expectantly. "Yeah?"

"You're going to need to buy another pacifier."

Luke's eyebrows furrowed together. "I assumed we'd buy several pacifiers."

"No, I mean that we're—"

Luke looked annoyed. "Look, I know I'm not experienced with raising young children but I do know we have to buy multiples of most things, like bottles and clothing. One of each isn't going to be enough."

"It certainly won't—"

Luke held up his index finger. "It probably wouldn't hurt to start getting things purchased now so it isn't so much later on."

"Yes, I agree, especially because—"

"Want to head into Hartford tomorrow?"

Lorelai rolled her eyes. "Sure but you need to know—"

"I assume they have baby stores there. Are you hoping to have a baby shower?"

"Maybe but you really should stop—"

Luke pondered something for a second before, once more, interrupting Lorelai. "It would certainly help with expenses, plus I'm sure everyone in town would want to celebrate with—"

Lorelai held up both hands. "Luke! Stop!"

His eyes grew large as be stepped back. "Okay. What?"

Lorelai moved closer to Luke and reached for his hand. "Dr. Whitley called."

"She did? Is everything okay?" A note of panic crept into his voice.

"It depends."

"On what?" Luke asked quickly.

"On how you feel about having twins."

"Twins? As in two babies? You're pregnant with twins?"

Lorelai smiled. "That I am."

Luke's mouth twitched upwards as he rushed to hug his wife. "Oh Lorelai, we're having twins! You and me, we're having two babies!"

Tears formed in her eyes as she witnessed his reaction. "Yes, I know! You're okay with it?"

Luke bent his head down to meet Lorelai's lips. "I couldn't be any happier," he whispered.

Lorelai broke the kiss a moment later. "So, I agree that we need to start shopping."

"Absolutely! Tomorrow we shall begin."

The couple walked down to the diner, hand in hand, overjoyed that their family was growing by not one, but two.