Chapter 66

The Gilmore girls' pregnancies were progressing as expected. Neither Lorelai nor Rory were experiencing much in the way of morning sickness, which would not have boded well given their eating habits.

As the days passed, Lorelai and Luke began discussing whether they would find out the gender of the babies and baby names. Like Logan and Rory, they both wanted to know the sexes, provided the babies cooperated. A couple names quickly became favorites, as well.

Lorelai found herself daydreaming about what the babies would look like and what types of personalities they would end up having. Would they have a boy with Luke's love of baseball and fishing? Would their daughter have her eyes and quick wit? Would the babies both be boys who would dig up bugs and dare one another to eat a worm? Or twin girls who would share clothing and crushes on the cutest boys in the class?

Knowing that she had roughly twelve weeks until they could even try to find out what they were having was torture. Lorelai had been trying to busy herself at the inn and with her mother's apartment remodel. She had also been helping Lane plan a baby shower for Rory, which was planned for the end of April. Like her own shower years ago, Lane planned to use Miss Patty's as the venue. There was enough space for the stations she decided on, which also mirrored those Rory planned for Lane's.

The apartment remodel was basically done. Tom had completed the construction phase a couple weeks ago and Emily had been working closely with an interior designer who employed several men and women to implement the plan. While she wanted to have a say in every last design piece that was chosen, Emily made it clear that she had no desire to actually paint or hang pictures.

Looking at the time, Lorelai saw that it was almost ten in the morning. She planned to meet her mother at Luke's to walk through the apartment. Grabbing another sip of her decaf coffee, she found her keys and was on her way.

*****

Emily moved through the open door of the apartment, her eyes filling with every small detail. Lorelai had arrived first and now stood in the middle of the living space. "Welcome home, Mom."

A smile stretched across Emily's lips, making her pleasure evident. "Oh my, this is dazzling!" Emily took in the medium yellow walls then spotted the deep blue accent wall. Her eyes fell on the tan couch and loveseat she had chosen in New York which now held red throw pillows. The deep blue rug accented the dark hardwood flooring which flowed into the eat-in kitchen. Stark white cabinets held rather sparkly tan and white marble counters and brightened the area considerably. The dining set Emily chose was beautiful. The legs of the table were a soft white which matched the legs and backs of the chairs. The table top and seat of the chairs were a deep wood, nearly matching the flooring. White trim lined the floor boards, acting as a drastic contract to the black doors. Everything blended and flowed perfectly. Comfort met elegant, making the entire space proof that the right layout and design could make even the smallest space feel large and inviting.

Wanting to see the bedroom, Emily walked down the short hallway to the master. The bedroom appeared much bigger than she thought it would. A queen size bed, laid on a mahogany frame, was draped with bedspread in a gorgeous shade of plum. White and gray decorator pillows were laid across the head with a gray chenille throw blanket tossed at the foot. White trim and black doors were carried into this room, as well. Looking at the wall above a small desk that matched the bed frame, a sad smile filled her face as she saw a collage of photos of Richard from many eras of his great life. Lorelai must have added those as a surprise.

Lastly, Emily pushed through an open doorway into the bathroom. She gasped as she observed the large gray tiles and white soaker tub. She was surprised that there was enough room for a small stand-in shower. The sink, with its white cabinet and deep gray marble basin, contained enough room on the sides for her to set up a convenient area to get ready in the morning. Not having a separate vanity would take some getting used to but she had a feeling she would adapt quickly.

Lorelai trailed behind her, giving her space to look around. It appeared that Emily missed the small room off the dining area. Though it wasn't anything special, it contained a small washer and dryer, thus making her time in Stars Hollow much more bearable.

As Emily and Lorelai found their way back to the living room, Luke knocked on the open door and stepped inside. "Do you like what you see?"

Emily nodded. "Oh, I most certainly do. I tried to envision how everything would look once it was done but never in my wildest dreams did I picture this." She gestured around her before turning to face Lorelai. "And thank you for the lovely tribute to your father in the bedroom."

Lorelai held up her hands. "That was all Luke. He planned it himself. He only asked me to help him find the photos."

Tears brimmed Emily's eyes and she moved toward Luke. "You have no idea how much it means to me that you thought to bring Richard here."

Luke cleared his throat. "I remember Lorelai saying that wherever Richard was was home to you. So I wanted to bring that important part of you here."

Emily embraced Luke, making him uncomfortable. "Thank you. It means more than I could say."

Lorelai chuckled to herself, happy that her mother seemed to be much more accepting of Luke now.