Chapter 67

Logan sat at his desk in the New York office of the Huntzberger Publishing Group. He'd mostly been working from home, checking in by phone regularly, but an in-person visit was needed to get paperwork signed and other tasks done that required he be in the office for. As much as Logan was happy to have been transferred back to the United States, part of him hated the commute he had to make to the city when he was needed. It never bothered him before— but that was before Rory made her way back to him.

Lost in thought, Logan didn't notice two people were heading toward his office.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?"

"It looks like our boy is working...as if he is suddenly a responsible mate."

"Logan, responsible? I think you may be quite intoxicated if you think Logan is responsible, Finn."

At the sound of Finn's name, Logan snapped to attention and found his two oldest, dearest friends standing just inside his office door. Finn and Colin looked amused, as if they had just witnessed a comedy routine that tickled their fancy.

"Finn! Colin! What are you doing here?"

"We could ask you that very same thing, Huntzberger. What is all this? Why are you at work during normal working hours?" Colin asked, mock indignation coloring his features.

Logan laughed as he stood and rounded the desk. He shook the hands of his pals, clearly thrilled at their presence.

"We heard through the grapevine that you're heading up this very office. We just had to come down and see for ourselves."

Logan held up his arms, his gesture intending to encompass the building as a whole. "What you see is what you get. Your source is correct; I am the head of the North American branch of the Huntzberger Publishing Group."

"How does Odette feel about that? Did she come over with you?" Finn asked.

Logan peered at the guys, wondering if they were putting on an act or if they truly hadn't heard all that had transpired in recent months.

"Have you both had your heads in the sand or is this a joke?"

Finn and Colin exchanged a look that spoke of their cluelessness.

"I've been drinking my way through Asia. Colin locked himself in a bunker in Belgium with some tennis player. We both just surfaced and made our way directly here once we heard you were stateside once more. What's going on, mate? What have we missed?"

Logan chuckled, knowing they would be happy with what he had to say. "Well, first off, there is no more Odette."

Colin, a step behind, gasped. "She died?"

Logan shook his head. "No, she didn't die but our relationship did. We broke up before Thanksgiving."

"Is that why you transferred here? You became a heartbroken lad and needed a change of scenery?"

"Not exactly. I found out that Rory is carrying my child, a lovely memento from our night at your bed and breakfast in New Hampshire, Colin."

Grins appeared on Finn and Colin's faces, as if they could guess where this was going to go.

"You got our girl pregnant? Does that mean..." Finn trailed off.

Logan nodded. "That means Rory and I are back together. We're engaged and are living in a charming house in Stars Hollow."

Colin jumped up and down while Finn rushed to Logan, throwing his arms around his friend and picking him off the ground for a moment before returning his feet to the floor.

"Take us to Mother. We must see her." Colin made his demand.

Finn's face took on an inquisitive look. "I'm guessing that Rory is around six months along, yes?"

Logan nodded again.

"So she must be well on the way of showing by now?"

"That she is, my boy. She is as beautiful as ever."

"No more delay! We must see our Rory girl who is with child!"

*****

Logan had no issues with leaving work once it was demanded he take Colin and Finn to see Rory. Thankfully, he had accomplished everything that was required so he delayed nothing by skipping out earlier than expected. The drive to Stars Hollow was full of the three old friends catching up.

The guys had already known that his and Odette's wedding had been planned for June 18th so learning that was now his and Rory's child's due date, Finn lamented that it clearly was meant to be an important date to Logan in one way or another.

"Looks that way," Logan replied quietly. Why hadn't he realized that the baby's due date happened to fall on the day he previously planned to marry Odette? Funny, once he settled into the relationship with Rory, everything about his former fiancée simply went spot out of his head. He hadn't thought about her since she called to tell Rory about her newfound plans to become a teacher.

Some sarcastic comment that Colin made brought Logan back to the present. It was nice that they could all pick up where they left off as if no time at all had passed. Logan supposed this is what Rory and Lane felt during Rory's Yale and nomadic years.

Driving around the quaint town that was Stars Hollow, Finn and Colin's eyes were glued to the windows.

"Logan, why in heaven's name haven't you told us such a magnificent little town existed? This town appears to have fresh offerings, ones that my boy Colin and I haven't had a chance to scamper after."

"Stand down, both of you. Even if they are our age, most of the women here are married with or have children. Could either of you see yourselves becoming a daddy to little Johnny or Susie?"

That comment stuck. Finn backed down visibly while Colin hemmed and hawed before shifting his gaze away from a pretty brunette who was walking through town. The frowns on their faces were comical.

Logan and Rory's house was up ahead. As he drove closer, Logan smiled at the sight. He loved their house which Rory easily made into a home. He could never recall having that sense of welcoming as a child when he entered his parents' home. Everything inside was expensive and, therefore, could not be touched or played with. It was more like living in a museum than a home. He could recall deciding as a child that his children would never be forced to live that way.

Pulling to a stop, the vehicle wasn't even in park before Finn and Colin jumped out. They walked to the front steps and waited for Logan to catch up. Unlocking the front door, he pushed it open and called out for Rory. When no response came, the three men moved deeper into the house, searching for her.

When Logan crossed into the office at the back of the house, he found Rory on the floor, unconscious.