Chapter 48

Michel was irritated with Tom and his crew. He was just informed that they intended to take an extended break for Christmas, which meant a delay of the completion timeline. He understood it was a holiday but he had hoped since Christmas Eve and Christmas fell over the weekend, no additional time would be taken.

Michel found his way to the second floor of the spa. Everything was coming together, which made him even more anxious to get it done. Moving through the rooms, he admired the color scheme he had chosen. Lorelai had commented earlier in the week that she was happy with his choices— with the design/décor and with the budget.

By his estimates, Michel believed there was roughly three weeks of work left once the delay was factored in. It seemed that only cosmetic stuff remained— painting downstairs, getting treatment rooms set up and organized, finishing touches throughout. He was excited to finally have a space that reflected his vision for creating the beauty he felt he should be surrounded by.

Voices were carrying up the stairs. Michel could decipher one as Tom but two female voices had joined his. He strained to listen before realizing that the other voices belonged to Lorelai and Sookie. Judging by the volume, the three were heading upstairs.

"Michel, do you ever go home anymore?" Sookie asked, nudging Lorelai lightly.

Rolling his eyes, Michel answered. "Yes, of course I do. But I was left to oversee this project so oversee I shall. What, did you expect me to leave on a two year expedition to find myself?"

"Okay, both of you stop. Michel, Sookie wanted to see the spa's progress so I thought I'd tag along." Lorelai stared at Michel, silently ordering him not to continue his usual diatribe toward the inn's lead chef.

Realizing it was time to back down, Michel relented. "Would you like a tour of the facility?"

"I'd love one. Thank you." Sookie turned to Lorelai and pretended to gag before following Michel throughout the second story. She listened while he described what each room was for and what equipment would be placed where.

Lorelai walked along with the others, looking at the details and envisioning everything as Michel talked. She couldn't stop the smile from slowly spreading across her lips as she saw everything come to fruition.

*****

Jess and Natalie realized their romantic injuries brought them even closer together than they were before. Natalie fully believed that Jess loved her and that he had proposed because he truly wanted her to be his wife. There was no alternative agenda.

The couple had made plans for Natalie to prepare dinner with a trip to a nearly theater afterwards. While chopping vegetables for the chicken stir fry, she began to think of the type of wedding she wanted. Growing up, she had always pictured what most girls do: a big white dress, groom in a crisp tuxedo, flowers everywhere, family and friends looking on.

The problem she now felt with that was the time it took to get all those plans made and paid for. She was a paralegal and Jess owned a printing press. Both meant decent incomes but nothing exceptionally lucrative. The money that would be earmarked for a wedding could easily be directed to purchasing a home or saving for when children came along.

That's when it hit Natalie. She could do without the bells and whistles as long as the end result was the same.

Jess knocked on her apartment's door then opened it. "Hey honey, it's me," he called.

Natalie poked her head out of the kitchen to let him know where she was. Jess joined her, lightly kissing her temple as he moved to her side. The two exchanged chitchat while dinner finished cooking. Jess began setting the table while Natalie moved the hot dish to its center. They sat and began to eat, conversation intermittently flowing between bites.

Once they each ate their fill and cleaned up, they grabbed their coats to head to the theater. Natalie stopped Jess short by reaching for his upper arm. He turned back toward her, his eyes questioning. "Yeah?"

"What type of wedding did you have in mind for us?"

"I want you to have whatever it is you want. Big, small; simple, lavish...I don't care. As long as I get to marry you, I'm in for anything."

"So if I tell you I'd like to go to the courthouse and marry you very soon— what would you say to that?"

Jess smiled broadly. "I'd ask you when and where."

"I am seriously considering an elopement. As a child, I dreamed of a big wedding but now, as an adult, I'm questioning how logical it is to spend all that money for one big party."

Reaching for her hand, Jess responded. "I am up for whatever you choose. Elope tomorrow or a big wedding next year. I just want you to be happy."

"As long as I marry you, I'll be happy."

"Just think about it. I don't want you to give up on a dream because you're concerned about money or time."

Natalie leaned in for a kiss. "I'll do just that."