Little Thorin

Thorin tugged at his father's robes begging for attention. Sighing, Thrain turned around and lifted his son up and took him towards his mother. "Farila, keep your son out of my beard," he exclaimed roughly pushing Thorin away. Stumbling, Thorin fell backwards and watched as his mother and father fought.

"He is your responsibility!"

"Well maybe if he had a father figure in his life I wouldn't have to play both roles!"

Whimpering, Thorin held his arms out looking to be comforted  but they simply ignored him and their argument got louder so that it rung through the stone halls. Thier argument died down, when they both noticed that Thorin sat in the corner alone, silent tears streaming down his face. "Hey," Thrain whispered crouching down to embrace Thorin.

Instead the young dwarf pushed past him and stumbled towards his chamber, tears clouding his vision. There, he remianed hunched in a tight ball, his small arms wrapped around himself. Just then, he heard a soft knocking and the voice of his sister penetrated his lonely silence. "Thorin?" she muttered walking over to her brother. Falling to her knees she placed a comforting hand over his shoulder, "What's wrong?"

Thorin remained in a stony silence and Dis bit her lip anxiously, "Were they fighting again?" Sighing in defeat, he turned to face his sister and hugged her tightly stroking her soft hair. He knew he would have always have to be the big brother, he didn't mind but sometimes it got terribly lonely.

Crying into his chest, Thorin muttered comforting words into her ear, before Frerin toddled in and placed himself next to his brother and sister. Tugging at Thorin's shirt he asked innocentley, "Why is she crying?" Placing his am around his shoulder, Throin whsipered, "She needs comforting."

With  that he wriggled under the grasp of his brother and began searching for something around the room. Throin looked on in confusion and for a moment both him and his sister watched Frerin with curiosity. "What are you looking for?"

Sighing, Frerin laid down on the bed and closed his eyes. "I was looking for comfort, but he's very good at hiding you know," he murmerd softly. Throin exchanged a look with his sister before both collapsed into a fit of giggles.

Climbing onto the bed, Thorin poked his little brother before replying, "You're a silly little dwarf." Dis giggled and climbed onto Thorin's lap, holding onto Frerin's hand. For a moment all was silent until Frerin sat up and wrapped his arms around Thorin's neck from behind. "Thorin?" Smiling Throin unhooked his tiny hands and replied, "Yes Frerin?"

Rolling onto his stomach he looked up at him and mumbled softly, "Do you love mummy and daddy and me and Dis?" Shocked by his words he embraced Frerin before murmering, "Of course I do, and nothing will ever change that."

Sighing with happiness, he curled up into a tight little ball in his arms and within a few minutes he fell asleep. Careful not to wake him, Thorin gently placed his little brother on his bed and silently signalled Dis to come with him.

Once he was out of earshot he confronted Dis. "Frerin asked me a strange question." Yawning she rubbed her eyes and nodded. "He asked me whether I love you, him, mother and father. What do you think he meant?"

Laughing, she wrapped her arms around her brother's neck and murmered into his chest, "It's simple. You are his big brother and like a second father to him, he loves you Thorin and is proud to call you his big brother." Planting a kiss on his cheek she stumbled off towards her chamber.

Leaning against the doorway, he looked up and smiled, lost in his own thoughts. He didn't seem to feel lonely anymore.