Issue # 38 Book of Lady Caroline Pt. 5

"An 'ephemeral gaze', huh? Well, I don't give a-" In that next moment, Cardinal Malcolm couldn't move his feet. And why do I feel so tired and sick? Like I can't hold anything down. Like it's all about to come back up. Not this morning's breakfast! 

       Ashka bowed, removing his top-hat, as Cardinal Malcolm spewed out vomit. "All who stare into my eyes for too long fall victim to some kind of trance. It's unfortunate. I never necessarily intended for that to happen, the puking. But it just so happened to be one of the powers I was blessed with. It's how my 'mana' has channeled a manifestation of its energy. I am Ashka the Illusory. All de'Navran offspring can perform illusions, but I outrank all the shows. I am a magician by trade, my dear Malcolm." 

     The Cardinal looked back up to Ashka, his head shaking. "I'm... not... gonna... lose!" 
     Ashka put two fingers to his forehead, his eyes rolling. "My gosh, fine. Be that way. You know, if you would just surrender now, I could show you my favorite little magic trick." 
     Malcolm's head shook some more, blood trailing off his throat. "I-" More blood then escaped from his mouth, larynx dancing as gurgling noises bubbled from his face. 
      Nahum and Iona sighed and looked away. 
     "My dear brethren, it seems that the Cardinal is choking on his own blood. What a fanciful way to go out!" Ashka laughed. 
      Malcolm smacked himself across the face just then. 
     "Oh. My, my, did that hurt? Well, there's always that." Ashka shook his head. "Smacking yourself is one of the few ways in which people try to alleviate choking. I was surprised you did it. I guess you were desperate enough, though." 
      "I concede." 
      Yes, of course you do. My gaze influences all. The lips on Ashka's face curved into a devious grin. "Very well, Cardinal. I shall see to it that I extend to you a sense of mercy." 

      "What?" Nahum coughed. 

      Ashka snapped his head over to Nahum and whispered, "You know how my power works. The more someone is hit by it, the stronger it works on them. By keeping Malcolm alive, I can always use my hypnotic stare on him. Soon, there will come a time where he doesn't even lay a finger anywhere near me." 
      Nahum chewed on his bottom lip, then nodded. "Very well. I think I'd much rather like to go back 'home', anyway, and see Braggar and Zarkadda." 
       Ashka shook his head, closing his eyes for a moment. "I came here to tell you something important, Nahum. But I must ask for your undying trust, do you understand?" 
     "Brother? Brother, of course. What seems to be the issue?" 
      Ashka took in a deep breath. "First and foremost, I wanted to tell you about all those centuries ago. When I was struck by that rosefire bullet from those agents of the much older rendition to the Complexia Portia. Temple, I think they were called? Nevertheless, I never told you how much I forgive you. I've always forgiven you for that incident. And the rest of us know, brother Nahum, about why you split yourself into two the way you did." 
      Nahum's eyes welled up with tears as Cardinal Malcolm walked out of the fashion store, clothes soaked in blood. "B- Brother. Th- Thank you! You have no idea how much that lifts my spirits." 
      Ashka nodded, his nostrils flaring. "I'm glad to hear it, brother Nahum. You see, you were the furthest thing in my mind from any kind of blame at that time. You were always so clumsy, of course, but Zarkadda was supposed to help you with that. I've felt such frustration for him for a long time." 
      Nahum's eyebrows rose. "What? Why?" 
      "Because Zarkadda chose the title of leader for quite a while, even during certain occasions when Hosanna was alive. Of course, that was when Hosanna started to live on the lam. He chose the title, he took the responsibility. Or at the very least, Zarkadda should've taken the responsibility. But he's slowly been going mad with revenge. Revenge for humanity. You know why, of course." 
      "Because the humans had a ship and yet allowed our de'Navra brethren to die when the Flood came?" 
       "Precisely. And although I don't think highly of humanity either, I'm also not hellbent on destruction. Humans took the civilization we gave them and made something greater out of it. We might be magical, but they have technology. They rule this world now, and have ruled it for quite some time. Their destruction is our destruction. I will not succumb to madness like Zarkadda has. So, I wish to take my leave. No longer be a part of his operations." 
      Nahum stood up quickly. "BROTHER! No! That's exactly how Hosanna started to b- be on the run. He, too, thought he saw Zarkadda going mad and wished to leave the de'Navran operations. But he couldn't run forever." 
      Ashka took off his top-hat. "I know. But now, Zarkadda has been greatly wounded. By that boy." 
      "The boy who Hosanna possesses, you mean." 
       Ashka nodded in a slow manner. 
      "I swore my loyalty to Zarkadda. I'd feel bad to just leave him. I'm the 'butler', after all!" 
       "But you have to look inside your heart and ask why it is you originally swore an oath to him as the new leader in the first place, Nahum." 
       Nahum took a few deep breaths, then looked to Iona. "So I could always be able to look after my little Iona, and you. You two were always my favorites." 
       Ashka nodded. "And you know, Temuri also has been wanting to start a new life for quite some time. We've all been hanging onto Zarkadda's mad reigns for too long. The only one who is just as violent enough to find Zarkadda a role model, then, is-" 
       "Braggar." Nahum's eyes widened.
       "Yes, h-" Ashka coughed up blood and felt himself being flung into a shelf. 
      "BRAGGAR!" Nahum gripped his Akuma-Scythe and pointed it at a fat man with huge biceps. 
      In front of Nahum stood a man with a white tank-top on. His yellow eyes small and reptile-like, the fourth de'Navra of the scene bit his bottom lip. Flexing his arms, he laughed. 
      Walking closer to Nahum, Braggar ran a hand across his bald head. 
     "You know, I've been waitin' to get back at Ashka for takin' shots at my haircut like he did that one day. No one fucks with my hairdo. Only I do." Braggar sniffed the air around him just then. "Oh, I couldn't even tell. I'm a fuckin' dolt. This is supposed to be some perfume store, isn't it? Fuck me! There's just a bunch of dead bodies everywhere though." The gravelly texture of Braggar's voice punched the air around him. "Anyway, I was sent to find you guys. You were takin' too long with just this one Cardinal. After Ashka didn't make it back in five minutes either, the 'Zartold me to come down here and check on y'all. Turns out, you were plannin' a getaway party, huh? Well, you unloyal fucks better prepare your asses. I'm Braggar the Braggadocious, remember? Unlike Zarkadda, I don't kill people. I just beat'em up until they can't feel their limbs  anymore. You want a taste of that, Nahum?" 
      Nahum lowered his eyes and sliced at the shelf next to Braggar, drawing blood from Braggar's arm. "I serve Iona and Ashka now. I always did, always will. My heart was always set on their servitude. You, can ever-so kindly, go fuck yourself."