Issue # 29 Hand Her The Rose, Pt. 2

The grass was... moist.
                Blue caressed the sky and the smell of late November diffused across the air. Trees were swaying a most ancient and natural dance. Titanium-Corps Academy stood proud as two boys sparred in the arena.
            "Hm. So, what do we have here?" a gentle voice echoed.
          "Maximus Kaline. Top-tenth percentile in combat skills... apparently." Max adamantly responded, pointing to his sternum.
          "I see." Long blonde hair and a ginger stubble grinned in response. "So, do you plan on practicing against me for the day? Seeing as how I am the... new champion and all. This role is quite drab, but someone's gotta fill it."
        "Yeah!" the apple-haired boy excitedly jumped over to the one who was now the highest level in the arena. Octavian Antony. 

________

         "Wh- wh- why is Maximus fighting... Octave? Shouldn't he be worrying about finding out what Father Agnus is up to?" Kyle prodded Natalie's shoulder as the two stood in the stands. "I mean... seriously. The headmaster admits to being a tribunal faerie, lends me his powers temporarily, and ends up trying to get with one of the teachers here. Shit is spooky, Natalie!" 
          "What boggles my mind is why would a tribunal faerie run an academy that specializes in killing faeries?" Natalie scrunched up her lips to the corner of her mouth. 
         Kyle looked up to the high ceiling of the coliseum. "You think... maybe... Agnus wants to be the only one left? Knocking out Malechor was all a part of his... plan?" 
         Natalie shivered. "I never thought of that. Say, you know Max... has this weird side to him, right? When he fought Thaddeus and Ithaca... it was like he was a d- different person." 

________

        "So." Maximus heaved as he and Octavian clashed in the midst of some hard deflections and absorption. 
     "So? Ah, right. What sort of gentlemen would we be if we didn't have a good conversation while sparring. Of course." The charismatic gentleman, Octavian, responded with confidence and grace. His hair fell gracefully down his neck as he smiled a blinding white. 
         "You're a nice change of pace from Thaddeus and Ithaca, I like that." Max breathed in. Yeah. This Octavian guy is so much nicer. 
        "Thank you. Yeah, it's a shame that two men like that were at this stature of recognition for quite some time. They're losers in my book. But... who am I to judge? My book isn't that big." Octavian blocked a hit from Max and tried to go low but Max jumped out of the way and made distance.
         "I agree. But... oh well. I'm now concerned with our headmaster." The apple-haired boy ran at Octavian, swinging his sword for a high and low hit.
         "Agreed. I was put here on his behalf, but when it came to thanking him, he was nowhere to be found. Might be a fruitless question, but do you have any idea -- or know anyone who might have an idea -- as to where he went?" Octavian blocked Max's hits and landed a hit on the Kaline's ankle softly.
         "Sorry, I don't. In fact, isn't it weird how Ms. Azalea also isn't anywhere to be found?" Max cringed and then jumped back to make some distance. "Danielle Azalea was supposed to be... Father Agnus's girlfriend. But... it's been a few days now and... I haven't seen her." 
        "That's true. You don't think they're in cahoots with each other somehow, do you?" Octavian gripped his mechanical sword with two hands and slammed into Maximus's sword, knocking the wind out of the boy's grip.
          "I wouldn't think so, but anything is possible. Then again, what do you mean by 'cahoots'?" Max shrugged, his form-fitting green hoodie fluttering. 
         "Well... do you think they ran off together somewhere?" Octavian pointed his sword to the air just then and tossed his head back, his bright blonde hair flicking about. 
        "M- maybe. I don't know. Adults and their relationships, man. It's- ugh." Max put a hand to his face. His teeth chattering, steam came vaping out from his right eye. His skin slowly turned a crispy brown as his whole body twitched. 
        "My gosh! Wh- Wh- What's happening to... you?" Octavian stepped back, hitting the ropes which encased the arena. 
        "Ugh. Love. Hate. Ugh- AGH! Okay. Sorry about that. Where were we? Fighting. Sparring. Swords. Yes. Uhuh!" Max widened his eyes and stared at Octavian for a moment. 
        "My apologies," Octavian flicked his long mane. "But I am... indeed exhausted with this. Perhaps... same time tomorrow, Kaline?"
        "Right. Sure." Max gave a thumbs-up. "S- s- s- sorry."