Issue # 17 Taken Pt. 1

Darkness. Black. No light. Light consumed.
               Then suddenly, a blinding brightness.
             Maximus put his sword in front of his face and watched helplessly as three upside-down crosses rotated around each other towards him. Their shapes were gaunt, reflecting pure darkness with slits of silver. The obsidian decorations chased after him. 
             "Wh- why can't I... move?" Max wheezed as he tightened his stomach.
            "You're not going anywhere... you handsome little man." Iona blew a kiss towards her enemy as three black crosses dug into Max's arm.
            The poor apartment was filled to the brim with screams of pain and terror. Max's arm bled profusely as the three upside-down crosses stabbed him. The tops of their points ravaged his skin and sinew.
             His eyes rolling to the back of his head in pain, Max fell down. His sword dropping next to him peacefully, the young man's hair suddenly dripped with an oily texture. His eyes rolled back forward with a yellow tint.
           "Iona... how long it's been, sister." Max's lips moved.
          "Huh! What? Ho- Ho- Brother Hosanna. I see... that's why I was so attracted to this hunter. So he's the body you picked out to hide in, huh?" Iona smiled as a deep tan spread all across Maximus's skin.
           "Yes. He's quite the passionate fellow. He'll have to find a new drive if he wishes to continue being a hunter, however. His once lofty goal of hating all the fey has... dried up. Hmph. The Cardinals of the Complexia are getting suspicious of me... and this is unfortunate. But even if they do find that a fellow de'Navra is underneath their radar... that won't stop me from furthering my... plans. Now-" Within the next moment, Maximus's yellow eyes shot back to green. "UGH! Get out of my head. Who... are you?" Max smacked his forehead with his hand.
          "Oh boy." Iona rolled her eyes. And what exactly are Brother Hosanna's plans?
         "And my passion for being a hunter, huh? I'll tell you, whoever you are! And you too, Iona. It's to protect people. I initially wanted to destroy the targets... but now... I wanna protect everyone! I wanna save my friends... my family... and this girl right here. Tori!"
          "Oh, boohoo. So sappy. My gosh. Though, you would make a wonderful romantic. Teehee. I guess I'll leave, though. Brother was just about to tell me to do that anyway. Hm. I guess it is a bit odd that I should call him brother... since I had the hots for him. Anyway. Ta-ta for now! Have fun getting this girl to stop puking everywhere. What was her name, again? Tori? I don't remember. It was fun having my Laven Spirits possess her. Goodbye for now, Max."
        "Wait! Get back here!"
          All too quickly, Iona slipped away into a dark pool of swirling matter.
         "Damn it." Maximus punched the air.
        "Max... I... don't wanna feel like this... anymore!" Tori's green face was now scarring a tad, her bones cracking in her arm.
          "Tori. You can fight it, can't you? I can see it. You know Sean loves you. I don't know really... what's going on. But I think you're being possessed by a... Laven... Spirit?"
           "Max... it's... feeding on me! On my... guilt... and... hate!"
          "Tori, breathe in and out... slowly. Take deep breaths and... come here. It's gonna be alright. You can fight it."
           Tori, her eyes crying blood, bit her bottom lip and walked slowly over to Max. Taking deep breaths as instructed, the graphic pores on her skin began to shrink and her green skin tone calmed to a normal pink. Starting to smile, the young woman held tightly to Max's right hand.
         "That's good. Just like that. You're going to be alright. There's no need for-"
          One. Just one. One powerful hit of electricity pulsed throughout Maximus's body as he screamed and collapsed to the ground.
          The pain was unbearable as the sound of static electricity beat up the living room. Max's whole body almost lit up like a firework.
           "WH- WHAT?" turning around, Max saw Cardinal Aubrey with two fingers to her nose as the girl breathed heavily.
           "Don't. You. Move." Aubrey glared as she looked at a new sheet of parchment which was stuck to Max's back.
         "Au... brey." Max coughed up blood.
          "You lied to me. Shinnaffray was right about you. I thought I could trust you but... you're one of them. I saw it. I saw you... change. You're a... de'Navra."
          "No! What are you... talking about? You... idiot! Didn't you see... I had Tori alright?" Max crawled to Aubrey's foot. "I was gonna save her." 
         Aubrey cocked her head up to see Tori returning to her kicking, violent vomiting, and screaming.
          "Tell that to Lector Ruthven."
          "Lector... Ruth...ven?" Max shook, his eyes starting to close.
           "I'm taking you to one of the local bases. You can explain to the Council of Cardinals why you think it's funny to deceive us, de'Navra scum."
           "Ugh. Damn... it. Tori... I'm... sorry."
           Max's whole world went black. No sound. No pain.
            Darkness. Black. No light. Light consumed.    

_________