⋆Chapter Thirty⋆The 57th⋆

"We've lured away all nearby titans!" A voice calls out, you merely sit there on the horse which apparently belonged to your brother... stone-faced as you hold the reins of your horse and wait for the time that you depart... to go outside the walls. "Thirty seconds until the gate opens!" You take a deep breath, and then release it with a quiet sigh to keep yourself calm. Your nerves are getting to you... you don't want to lose anyone today.

Your gaze flickers over as you feel someone's eyes set on you, catching Eren's gaze. You manage to cast him a small smile, and he returns it before looking over, and you do as well, catching sight of a couple kids and you can't help but cast them that same smile, just as Eren does from the side before you both look back forward as another voice calls out.

"It's time! In mere moments, mankind will advance once again... Show us what you're made of!" It takes a few moments, but everyone seems to be fueled with this. "Open the gates!" Your nervous attitude sets in as the gates start to open, but you hide it with a bold expression again.

Everyone is silent, when Erwin suddenly cuts in. "Forward!" He calls, which only brings everyone to life as everyone follows him out, the sounds of horses hitting the area, the commander's voice cutting in once more. "We now begin the fifty-seventh expedition! Advance!" He then repeats.

Your [Hair Color] strands fly behind you as you lean forward slightly, keeping yourself from falling off. A good couple minutes pass before Erwin shoots his arm out to the side. "Into long range scouting formation!" He exclaims. You stick next to Armin, Reiner's voice cutting in before he splits off from the two of you. "Later, Armin... [First Name]." Jean is next to cut in before he goes his own path. "Don't piss your pants... even if titans show up." Jean calls back to the both of you again before he's too far. Armin's blue gaze flickered over to you after just a couple seconds. You meet his gaze a moment, and he's surprised when you suddenly give a grin. 

"Say, Armin... we're all going to survive this, aren't we?" He's surprised by the sudden confidence that radiates off your form as you travel close by, eyes bright as you push back your fear and let sudden adrenaline kick in. This is what you'd been planning from the very beginning, you weren't going to let your fear stop you from giving it all you've got!

A decent amount of time passes, neither your 'nor Armin had actually seen a titan but paths had been changed just as flares were fired. You can feel your heart pounding your chest. "It's strange..." Armin starts, almost a little absentmindedly like he's voicing his thoughts. "The red flare went off awhile ago, yet the formation is still off..." He then trails off as he stares into the distance like he's searching for something.

You press your lips together tightly at this thought. Had something gone wrong and the message not relayed to the rest of you? You flinch and looked up, [Eye Color] orbs partially widening as your eyes catch on one of the worse colored flares to see. "A black flare?!" You quickly exclaim toward Armin, he doesn't respond as he can only stare, but you catch him loading his own flare, not taking him long to shoot it off as you cover your ears to block out the noise.

It doesn't take long for you to notice a couple horses emerge from the forest, soldiers clearly on them as a titan soon follows pursuit and you swallow a lump in your throat at the sight, hearing Armin exclaim from the side. "I-It's an abnormal-!"

You watch as they go to take it out after a quick glance in your direction. The titan's body falls, and the other soldier there jumps in, taking it out for good. You can't help but smile as you see this and their coordination. "They did it!" You exclaim gleefully, but your joy is short-lived when you hear thundering footsteps and another abnormal coming from the side.

It's fast... so unbelievably fast for a titan. Armin's face takes a look of sheer horror as he fires yet another black flare into the air. You can only watch in your own horror, eyes wide as the abnormal rids of the first as he aims for the nape and then grabs the second's wire and throws him down... like he's some doll. It wasn't even showing interest in devouring them... just killing... it knew to aim for the wire...

It suddenly stops after they're both dead, just standing there a good few moments. It's got to be a good several meters, bigger than most of the titans you had seen. Armin suddenly turns his horse in terror as it suddenly begins to sprint toward the both of you, and you follow, sudden fear kicking in as you can feel your heart pounding in your chest, knowing well if it caught up, you could be goners. If it wasn't for what you'd just seen, you might try to stay and fight, but... What the hell was that thing?