⋆Prologue[2/2]⋆Aftermath⋆

Over a century ago, beings that prey on humans suddenly appeared. Their absolutely overwhelming strength quickly pushed humanity to the brink of extinction. The surviving humans constructed three walls: Maria, Rose, and Sina, which brought them a century of peace. But within hours of the fall of Shiganshina on the south side of Wall Maria, news of the incident had reached every city inside human territory. The same year, the central government made the decision to withdraw all of humanity's domain behind Wall Rose. An estimated 10,000 people were eaten by Titans during this time.

You give a sigh as you push yourself up and off the ground, using your hands to push yourself up. You felt numb, ever since you arrived here, behind Wall Rose, you refused to make contact with anyone. You hadn't been here long -- but you already wanted to go back home... Even with the titans invading. If only this had all been a twisted nightmare, you could go home... Your mother would be waiting with a loving smile, and you would apologize for what you said, promise her you would be safe... that just maybe you wouldn't become a soldier, and join the Scout Regiment.

Walking out into another clearing, you catch sight of two strangers bickering and sigh.

"Hey! Get in line, will ya?!"

"Shut up!" The man proceeds to throw a punch before continuing, "I aint' eaten anything since last night!"

You block it out, and only watch as another kid runs by, carrying three loaves of bread and just slightly listen even with your distracted mind. "Eren! Mikasa!" You look over and see two others, who are staring at him with looks you can't pinpoint. "Just in time! My grandpa got us some by claiming they were for children!"

You scowl as you notice one of the soldiers flicker his gaze toward them with disgust and fight the temptation to start an argument with the man. What would be the point anyway? You can pick up more citizens shouting, but don't say anything.

Not even a few moments pass before you pick up the soldier saying something that made your blood boil as you gave him a half-hearted glare. "Why should we hafta' give our food to some lousy outsiders? If the Titans got through the wall, they could've at least eaten some more people, if you ask me!"

"No one was asking..." You mumble under your breath, but you blink your eyes in surprise as one of the children from the trio you'd been watching earlier - the brunette- begins to march up to the soldier. You pick out his name as soon as the blonde shouts his name. "Eren!"

"This is just gonna make the food shortage even worse." The soldier finishes off when he suddenly curses as Eren kicks him in the shin rather hard for a boy his size and age. It doesn't take the soldier long to punch him in the face, however, his eyes give a determined glint as he holds his ground, "What the hell?! You damn kid!" He exclaims as another soldier shows up and instead kicks him to the ground.

The brunette looks up at them, tears burning his eyes, but he quickly blinks them away as he makes an argument. "You don't know what it's like! You've never seen it! You've never seen what the Titans do to people!" You frown slightly and watch as the soldier begins to walk closer toward Eren, telling him to shut up.

Next thing you know, the blonde boy is stepping between them, holding his arms out. "I apologize! He's just hungry and irritable! That's why he so rudely lashed out at an adult..." He then bows and clenches his eyes shut, "I'm very sorry!"

The soldier glances about, tensing when he notices plenty of gazes rested on the scene, he clicks his tongue, before continuing to speak. "Man...It's 'cause of us that you guys aren't starving to death. You know!" He then starts to walk away, but stops just a few kids to glance back at them, including you for a split second, "Even you kids outta be thankful to us!"

It was then that you zone out from the conversations and move to walk off, not able to stand this anymore as you clench your fist at your side. You were tired of this... You would become a soldier... a scout... to become the great man your brother and father were, to get revenge on the beings that took everything.

Several days later, the throngs of refugees were tasked with cultivating the wastelands to secure food. However food shortage was unavoidable. So, in the following year of 846, the central government sent a multitude of refugees on a mission in the name of retaking Wall Maria. Of the 250,000 sent, nearly 20% f the population, not even 200 survived. Although it wasn't much, their sacrifices did improve the food shortage situation for the rest of the population.

You're walking, but stop upon hearing voices, the words you hear catching your attention. "Armin. I'm going to apply for the Cadets next year. I'm going to gain the strength to fight the Titans!" You blink your eyes as you stand by a column and listen quietly. After a few moments, you can hear more and listen quietly. "Armin?!" Another voice can be heard, and it's somewhat loud. "Me too!" Another voice cuts in, a female voice. "I will, too." It isn't nearly as loud, but you catch it.

"Mikasa...! You don't need to! You said yourself staying alive is what's important!"

"Yes. That's why I'm doing it; so you won't die."

You hear some shuffling, indicating movement, so you proceed to start walking off, not before you hear the last words. "All right. The three of us, then." The three of you... and then there's me.