⋆Chapter Three⋆Determination and Appreciation⋆

The next morning, you break out into a cold sweat as you shoot up, slightly panting. You'd had the same dream again... your mother was gone, but the last words she screamed to you... they had been added, each time -- even as you knew she hadn't said them. It's your fault. You quickly shake your head as you move to getting ready for the day ahead, not having an appetite. The moment you head outside, you're enveloped into a hug and shout in surprise.

Instincts kicking in as you move to throw the person off, but they have a tight grip, it was then that you heard sniffling and sweatdrop. "H-hey, are you okay?" You question hesitantly, and it takes several moments, before they finally let go of you, and you recognize her as Sasha, the girl who'd gotten into some deep trouble by Shadis.

You rub the back of your neck as she looks at you, "You're [First Name], right?!" She questions, eyes lighting up the moment you give a nod, and then she's back to hugging you, and starts to thank you over and over.

"For what..." You trail off, "The bread!" She exclaims, and you sigh, sweatdropping again once you realize she'd meant the bun you gave to Krista yesterday, to give to her. "Oh, that..."

"First off, we'll test your aptitude!" Shadis' voice echoes throughout the area as you stand within the group of cadets who stand around you, cut off into a group, gaze on the man as you await your turn. "Those incapable of this aren't suited to even be used as decoys! We'll have you transferred to reclaimed land!"

You step up second, the gazes landing on you as your belt is strapped to the wires before you're slowly lifted, you grit your teeth as you wobble some, nearly losing your balance within the first few seconds, but it doesn't take you long to catch it as you twitch every few seconds, gaze sweeping out across the others.

You've learned names of plenty of the cadets, more so from Marco whom you had talked to some more during breakfast -- how he had learned so many, you weren't going to question. But the ones that stuck out...

Sasha;; she just looked as though she didn't even care, her legs were slightly spread out as she just lightly swung back and forth. Jean;; much like you, he managed to stay upright, but twitched every time a few seconds would pass, looking concentrated overall. Mikasa;; she looked so calm... she just didn't care, as it looked so easy for her and then...

There was Eren. You sweatdropped, the sight nearly making you tip over, but you stayed upright at least... He hung upside down, gaze seeming somewhat disappointed in himself as his arms hung, fingers just lightly scraping against the ground till he curled them up. His eyes widened as he heard Shadis' voice next to him. "Jaeger! What are you doing?!" He started off, looking pissed, "Raise your upper body!"

You could see people snickering from in front of him, trying to contain their laughter, in a way... you felt bad for him. You mentally cheering him up, you could see how much this meant to him... to become a soldier from just every time you'd seen him. He looked absolutely horrified, not taking you long to realize what he might be thinking, how this was possible when he'd wanted this so much...

While everyone else had been dismissed, you glanced over your shoulder to see both Mikasa and Armin sticking back to help him. You merely sighed, before long, you were turning and picking up pace to catch up with Marco -- whom you noticed was also next to Jean, who shut up the moment he noticed you.

Sitting next to Marco once the three of you had made it to the mess hall, you couldn't help but inwardly grin as you notice Jean's unwillingness to look at you, as well as the blush that dusted his cheeks and spread across his nose. It wasn't from being happy that he was this flushed to even be across from you, but pure amusement.

Your gaze only turned to the door the moment you heard some gasps, pursing your lips the moment your gaze landed on Eren, who seemed to be in a daze as a bandage was wrapped around his head, already getting that the training didn't go well, and no doubt he would no longer be in the running for soldier-ship tomorrow.