Chapter Three - Family

Start from the beginning

"Hey... sorry about earlier..." I looked into his eyes to show that I was serious.

"Which time? Head butt or kick?" he asked in a teasing tone.

"Both…" I admitted.

He put Cassie down in her crib gently. She fell asleep within seconds with her arm around her blue teddy. I headed into the bathroom. When I went to close the door, a foot stopped it. Jack pushed open the door and closed it behind him.

"Out!" I commanded.

"You should stay here.”

"Aw. Not this again!" I closed the toilet lid and sat down.

"Zack agrees with me. Maybe we should leave you here with your mom."

"No! You will not!" I nearly shouted.

He shook his head frustrated. My breathing was heavier the angrier I got. Why couldn’t he just accept that I was going?

"I have Henry's number. I can go with him," I muttered.

His eyes flashed to mine in an almost threatening way. I scowled at him.

"How did you get his number?"

"He gave it to me in case this happened."

He huffed and headed out of the bathroom. I closed the door and used the bathroom—taking my sweet time washing my hands.  Then I headed out of the bathroom. But suddenly something hit me hard on the side. I was tackled onto the bed.  

Jack pinned me down. Really? Three times in one day?

"What the heck Jack!" I shouted in a whisper.

"You didn't defend yourself. See. Not ready to go," he whispered in my ear.

"Of course I wasn't expecting this. I'm on earth coming out of the freakin’ bathroom!"

He rolled his eyes at me. I wanted to spit. I knew I couldn't do the head thing. I might cause a concussion. Don’t want that...

"What is wrong with you?" I demanded as I tried to wiggle from his grasp.

His eyebrows pushed together in confusion. I just watched his eyes as he looked over my face as if he were looking for a fault in my expression.

"Third time tackling me…?" I explained.

"The first time was just for fun. The second was for a talk. And this time was a test."

I managed to get my right leg out without him noticing. I moved it and then hit him in the back. He seemed startled. I got my hands free and hit him in a pressure point in his neck. Then I rolled so I was on top—pinning him down. 

He chuckled and used his legs without me knowing. He grabbed my neck from behind me. I tumbled backwards off the bed and stood up.

"Nice try." He smiled.

"Jerk!" I hissed and darted from the room as quietly as I could without disturbing Cassie.

I went into the living room where mom was sitting watching TV. She smiled when she was me. I sat next to her and sighed.

"Where's George Clooney?" I asked, referring to Joe.

She laughed and then sighed. "He went to get dessert... and clear his head."

"I'm sorry."

"It’s not your fault. I think he's just shocked that I was right Sammy." She patted my leg.

Zack came out and seemed unsure whether to sit with us or not. I motioned for him to.

"The roast, potatoes and carrots are in the oven," he announced quietly.