Chapter Two - Greetings

Chapter Two – Greetings 

SHE LOOKED UP AT me expectantly. "Yes?"

"Um... can Zack and Jack stay here tonight?" I asked sheepishly.

She gave the look of 'No way!' I frowned and gave her my pleading look.

"Zack is an incredible cook I swear mom... And Jack... Well he can sleep in the basement," I giggled. Jack in the basement. Ha. Ha.

"That's an awful idea Sam." She shook her head stubbornly.

"Please... It's only one night! They won't be much trouble!"

"Fine. They can stay in the guest room..."

"Guest room?" I raised an eyebrow. This house looked smaller on the outside.

She got up and went downstairs and then down the hall and to a door on the right. She opened it and there were stairs.  

Okay, I was totally kidding about the basement thing. But she didn't think so I guess. Down in the room, she turned a light on.  

It was an elegant room with a big queen sized bed and blood red walls with a little TV on the dark cherry dresser. Hard wood floors shined brilliantly as the soft yellow light shined on them. There were little windows that you could see the front yard through.  

Another door was near the corner of the room that led into a small bathroom. It was a very nice room I must say.

"Thanks mom," I told her with a little smile and then got my phone out. "I should tell them to stop searching for a hotel... Don't be mean to them okay? They sort of lost their home," I muttered as I hit speed dial.

"They took you from your home," she reminded in just a murmur before leaving the room with Cassie.

Zack didn't answer, which either meant that something went wrong or he was currently in a situation that he couldn't answer his phone. I frowned and dialed Jack.

"Hel-lo?" he said all funny like-- as if he were singing.

"Hey, my mom said you can stay here. Tell Zack."

"Stay at your mother's house? After last time?" He didn't like the idea.

"Yes. Come over when you can, she has a guest room for you."

"Fine, let me get Zack. He's packing Cassie's stuff up." I let out a relieved sigh knowing that's all Zack was doing.

"By the way, I didn't ask her yet so don't bring it up, alright? Okay bye." I hung up and followed my mom to the kitchen.

"She's hungry. Where's her food?" she asked. Cassie was currently sitting on her hip as she walked around the kitchen in search for the food.

"In my bag." I grabbed it off of the couch and pulled out the formula and then put it in the microwave.

"Who is the, err, dad?" she asked; clearly uncomfortable.

"Zack. You haven't met him yet. I guess he would be considered a dad. It was a shot after all so...." I wanted to ensure her about that.

Was it just me or was she a bit relieved? Is it because she hated Jack so much that she was afraid it'd him? I tried to ignore that and handed her Cassie's food.

We talked for a while as she fed Cassie. We talked about my life in the past year. I left out a few parts- like me being tortured. I'll save that one for later.. And also about us going to take the planet Renton back. I told her most everything else.  

She knew Zoey was home. She said she has been quiet since she arrived home mysteriously. Her dad sent her to therapy. I felt awful for Zoey in so many ways.