Chapter Eighteen

Memories

I woke up to a knock on my door and didn't bother answering. Grace came in anyway and I glared at her.

"Hey"

She said and I shrugged.

"Well, uhh... I need you to collect a package for me when the mail man gets here. I'm heading out in a few minutes"

"Whatever"

I said. She was probably going out with her bloke. I know Tasha would have told her about me being injured but she didn't even act like anything had happened. Some mother she was.

Resentfully, I sprung out of my bed wanting to leave my room for her and winced. I'd forgotten I wasn't supposed to be standing up like that.

"Shit!"

I groaned and sat back down.

"Oh my God. Are you okay? What happened to you?"

Grace exclaimed and I looked over at her.

She was staring at the scratches on my arm and neck. I frowned. Why was she acting all surprised?

Suddenly her eyes flared.

"Who the fuck did this to you?"

"None of your- hey!"

I yelled when she walked over to me and pulled on my arm examining the cuts.

"They're beginning to heal. Did you go to a hospital already? Dammit. Get dressed. We're going to the doctor. And the damn cops"

"What? No. I'm not going to no cops"

"Wait. You're not in a gang are you?"

"No!"

'Then what happened? Oh God are you okay?"

She said working back from angry to concerned so fast I couldn't keep up. I smacked the hand she placed on my forehead away.

"It's a bruise not a damn fever Grace"

She bit her lip.

"Does it hurt?"

"No. It tickles actually"

I drawled sarcastically and she frowned still staring at my bruises.

"Why you acting so shocked? You didn't think it would be this much?"

"What? What are you talking about?"

"Didn't Tasha tell you?"

Her eyes flared again.

"Tasha knew about this?"

"Well, I mean. She was the one who patched me up"

I could almost hear Grace's teeth gritting together.

"You didn't know?"

"No! Dammit I would have if I'd paid attention instead of leaving you alone like you wanted!"

"I didn't-"

I started to speak then kept quiet. I didn't want her to leave me alone. Dammit.

Annoyed, I folded my arms over my chest and looked away. Thank God today was a Saturday. Going to school was definitely not in my plans.

"Tasha checked you out?"

"Yeah. She said I was okay"

Grace glared at me and I shrugged.