Chapter Eight

Shoot out

I spent the entire Sartuday in bed. I was half expecting Tracey to come knocking down my door.

I ignored all my calls and texts. Tommie kept apologising for freaking out on me.

Kane and Rhema were both wondering if I was okay.

I didn't even open any of Aisha's texts. I just wanted everyone to leave me the fuck alone.

Grace knocked on my door once but got the message when I screamed at her to leave me alone.

I still couldn't get over what had happened. I didn't want to die. Especially not over pussy.

By five pm I was finally hungry enough to come downstairs. Grace wasn't in the house but I found some pizza on the counter. There was a note on it.

I have a late shift. Please eat

I sighed. I just didn't get why she was suddenly interested in my life. I lived seventeen years without seeing this woman. No calls, no letters, no contact at all with my so called mother. I still don't know how I managed to survive on my own.

After my dad had stopped taking care of me I'd gotten a job at a grocery store. I'd been paid minimum wage and it had been enough.

The rent had been so damn cheap. Plus my boss Mrs Welman had always given me a large paper bag of food stuff every damn week. I was actually happy.

Then one day this lady who didn't look older than twenty five showed up on my doorstep telling me she was my mother and that was it. She waved my birth certificate in my face and I had to pack up.

Dammit she didn't have any right to be doing this. Not after her stupid disappearing act. I'd already gotten used to the fact that I was just another kid with a parent who didn't give a fuck before she'd come back waltzing into my life.

I microwaved the pizza and put two slices on a plate. I got some mountain dew out of the fridge and sat down to my food.

After eating, I went to my room and lay down.

My phone beeped and I glanced at it.

Kane: C'mon Tari. I'm worried bout you

I decided to text her back.

Me: I'm fine

Kane: Why you run off like that?

Me: Nothing.

Kane: Can I see you? I miss you

I considered; should I keep talking with Kane?

I didn't want any trouble but what if Tracey found out about me and Aisha?

Shit.

Kane is the only person who can protect me. I needed her.

Me: Okay. I'll meet you at the club later tonight

Kane: Awww. Come over now