Chapter 23

Ravenpaw found herself in the meadow of Starclan again, this time greeted by Crowbreath. He flicked his tail and began walking away. Ravenpaw followed, curious as to where he was leading her as they walked through the forest.

They traveled in silence for awhile, listening to only the sound of the wind blowing through the trees and the birds chirping. Ravenpaw was delighted at how peaceful it was, the ache of her body quickly forgotten.

When Crowbreath did break the silence, he startled the young cat out of her thoughts with, "I'm proud of you. You're so brave, knowing that you'll have to face wolves soon."

"T-thank you," Ravenpaw responded, surprised by his praise. "I just wish I knew exactly what I have to do."

Crowbreath glanced at her from the corner of his eye, "I don't know how you're supposed to save the clans. All I know is that you will."

"You never told me my prophecy, did you?" Ravenpaw asked, hoping that if she knew what Crowbreath knew, she would have a better understanding.

His whiskers quivered with amusement, "No, I didn't think a kit would understand a prophecy, so I didn't bother telling you. Now I don't remember it correctly. Perhaps you should ask Meadowpaw; she has it memorized by heart and you'll find something else waiting for you back in Windclan."

Ravenpaw wanted to ask him what but the dream ended and she opened her eyes, frowning at the den wall. With a sigh, she stood up from her nest, padding past Night on her way out the den. She went and picked up a piece of fresh kill wich Ivystorm and Night had caught earlier.

Fangpaw settled beside her to keep her company. His and Birdsong's wounds had almost completely healed and the two were allowed to wander freely around the clearing. Sometimes Grayspot let them come with him and another cat to gather herbs.

Finishing her piece of fresh kill, Ravenpaw stood up, stretching. She was just in time to see Grayspot walk into the clearing with Thistlestar, the two toms each carrying a bundle of herbs. Crowbreath's advice echoed in her ears and she followed them into the den.

As Grayspot organized the herbs he had, she quietly watched, wondering what she should say to explain what she wanted. Grayspot didn't comment until he was done, turning to the apprentice.

"Well, spit it out." He said, his tail twitching.

Ravenpaw opened her mouth, hesitating for only a few more seconds, "I think we should check in with Harestar."

"No need," Grayspot stated, "I already went to see her during your last training session with Thistlestar."

Ravenpaw would have shuddered at the thought of tree climbing if she hadn't started getting used to it. Instead, her tail twitched and she muttered, "I have something to ask Meadowpaw and I can't help but feel that today would be a good day to visit."

Grayspot studied her for a moment before letting his eyes travel around the den at the other cats. He met Thistlestar's eyes for a moment before Thornkit distracted the leader, sharing some sort of knowledge. Ravenpaw began to grow impatient.

"Alright," he agreed, "just remember that we must be back before nightfall."

Ravenpaw nodded, containing her excitement to be back on the moor with her clanmates, even for a brief amount of time. The two left the camp alone, every other cat either needed at the Thunderclan camp to protect it, or taking a much needed rest.

Ravenpaw seemed to run circles around Grayspot, crunching through the fallen leaves, feeling giddy and almost like a kit again. She had missed her littermates despite being just a river across from them. If anything, that had made her miss them more.