Prologue

"It's been several moons now and the humans haven't left.  They've only brought in more monsters."  The brown and white she-cat known as Harestar looked around at the other three cats she had met up with.

A cloud moved away from the moon, lighting up the four cats as a black tom spoke, "They've progressed further into our territory, tearing down some of the trees near our camp.  It's bad enough that they're scaring away all the prey and starving us to death, but I can't stand the thought of them invading the camp."

"Same here."  Meowed the black and gray tom from Shadowclan, "The twoleg's monsters are getting really close to our camp too."  He looked at the diluted tabby as her tail began to swing from side to side in a mixture of fear and anger, "Is your camp safe, Shimmerstar?"

"For now, but we have to do something rather than sit here and wait for the twolegs to get us!"

"Calm down."  Harestar's tail flicked to Shimmerstar's shoulder in a gesture to comfort her.

The black tom spoke again, "I don't understand why this is happening...I mean...wasn't this land promised to us by Starclan?"

"If my memory is correct, it was."  The other tom replied, his dark brown eyes shifting from cat to cat, "But the twolegs are taking it from us, so I guess it's time to move on."

"Where do you suppose we go then, Deathstar?"  Shimmerstar hissed, still agitated.

"Calm down."  Deathstar sighed, "I think Starclan will tell us."

"Yes, we need to have complete faith in Starclan."  The black tom nodded, trying to reassure himself.

Harestar looked at him and Deathstar, "I suppose we should speak with our medicine cats.  Maybe they're seeing a vision from Starclan at this moment and will be awaiting our return."

The black tom flicked his tail once, "Then shall we leave and meet again if we receive news from Starclan?"

Shimmerstar hissed at him, "Thistlestar, you can't honestly believe Starclan is still watching over us.  They've abandoned us; we won't receive a sign!"

Deathstar ignored the Riverclan leader, answering Thistlestar, "Yes."  He turned away from them, padding towards Shadowclan.

"Alright then."  Thistlestar replied, nodding at the two she-cats before leaving for Thunderclan.

Harestar watched as Shimmerstar left before heading back to her clan.  All she had ever known was the territory surrounding the lake, but that was being wrenched away from her and her clan mates.  As she traveled across the moor, the wind blowing through her fur, memories flashed through her mind.

It wasn't long before she reached Windclan's camp, but instead of heading off to her own den, she headed towards the medicine cat's den.  Harestar could smell the herbs even before she walked into the den.  When she entered, one of the forms huddled in the nests made of heather and feathers shifted and a blue eye opened.

Harestar flicked her tail towards the den's opening before turning and leaving.  The medicine cat, a light gray tom, followed her to the edge of the camp before asking, "Is all well?  Are we leaving?"

Harestar shook her head, glancing around the camp to make sure no one was awake and listening, "We can't go anywhere until we receive a sign from Starclan.  Have you...received a sign?"

"I apologize, but I'm afraid I haven't."  The tom sighed.

"Mouse dung!"  Harestar hissed, fear beginning to fill her belly, "Maybe it'll come soon.  Keep an eye out for it, Grayspot."

Grayspot nodded, "Of course."

"Go back to bed.  Maybe Starclan will walk with you in your dreams."  She couldn't help but feel disappointed as he nodded again, walking towards his den.

Knowing she needed to sleep herself, she padded off to her own den, plopping down into her nest.  Her eyes closed and the next thing she knew, footsteps pounded into her den.  Harestar's eyes opened and she jumped up, her fur beginning to bristle until she recognized Grayspot.

His eyes were wild as he meowed, "We've seen the sign!  Starclan has given us the sign!"