Chapter 6

"Raventail, attack from behind."  Creamkit whispered, peeking at Raggedpaw who was pretending not to notice them.

Ravenkit nodded, circling around to the back of him.  The two kits had begun a game where they were both warriors, protecting their clan from a badger.  Raggedpaw was chosen to be the badger.  When Ravenkit reached her position, she looked back at Creamkit, waiting for the signal.

Creamkit's tail flicked before she charged forward, leaping on Raggedpaw.  Ravenkit followed, pretending to claw at him before retreating.  Raggedpaw fell on his side, pretending to struggle to get his littermate off.

She leaped away, "Go for the eyes, belly, and throat!"

Raggedpaw jumped back onto his feet, growling and snarling.  Ravenkit dashed forward, sliding under his belly and pretending to slash it.  As she did, Raggedpaw looked at her, giving Creamkit the opportunity to jump in and pretend to slash open Raggedpaw's throat.

He fell to the ground, pretending to be dead as Creamkit scampered around him, chirping in excitement.  Ravenkit joined in until she heard her name being called. She stopped, looking at Featherkit and Smallkit who stood watching them a few tail lengths away.

Ravenkit warily approached them, "Yes?"

"What are you doing?" Smallkit asked.

"Playing a game. Creamkit and I are pretending to be warriors and Raggedpaw was a badger. We just defeated it."

Smallkit asked asked, "Can we play too?"

Ravenkit glanced at Featherkit, not wanting her to join.  If she did, she would try to take over.  "Umm...I don't think so..."

Featherkit's fur bristled and she hissed, "Why can't we play?  Are we not good enough to play your stupid games with those stupid Shadowclan cats?"

"You don't like them, so why do you want to play with us in the first place? Didn't you say that Shadowclan cats are evil?"  Ravenkit flicked her tail.

"No." Featherkit hissed, "I don't follow Shadowclan cats around like their my clanmates!"

Ravenkit rolled her eyes, turning around and walking off. Creamkit and Raggedpaw were eating when she joined them again. Creamkit looked up at her, eyes sparkling with amusement.

"You're going to try a frog!" She exclaimed and Ravenkit looked down at the small green creature with disgust.

"Do I have to?" She asked.

Raggedpaw's whiskers twitched in amusement, "If you want to eat."

Ravenkit looked at the frog again, aware of her belly rumbling. She crouched down, closing her eyes before hesitantly taking a bite. Surprisingly, she found it to be delicious, the taste different from anything she had ever eaten before.

"Do you like it?" Creamkit asked.

Ravenkit nodded, swallowing her mouthful. Raggedpaw's whiskers twitched again as he replied, "Let that be a lesson not to judge prey by its looks."

Ravenkit rolled her eyes, taking another bite. It wasn't long before the frog was gone. As Ravenkit stood, she looked over at her clan, seeing Harestar prepping everyone to leave.  She saw Doeflight with three of her littermates and looked around for the other two, seeing Featherkit and Smallkit sitting together by the riverside.  Featherkit said something in Smallkit's ear before looking around to make sure no one was listening.

Ravenkit looked away, fighting the urge to go over and see what they were talking about.  Her curiosity won out and she found herself venturing over to them, noticing how close they really were to the river.  After days of nonstop raining, the river had flooded, swallowing up the land around it in a ravenous torrent.  As she approached, the two kits looked up at her.

"What is it?" Featherkit asked, her eyes narrowing.

"What are you guys talking about?"

They both looked around before Smallkit whispered, "It's a secret.  If you want to know, you have to promise not to tell anyone."

Ravenkit nodded, "I promise."

Featherkit answered, "Then come closer."

Ravenkit took a step forward, getting closer to Featherkit so she could hear.  Within a second, Ravenkit slipped, falling into the river.