Chapter 8

Ravenkit spent the rest of the day watching the different cats. Allie seemed to be friendly with everyone, while the others seemed more reclusive. The black she-cat Allie talked with earlier was called Kitty. Kitty would occasionally look over at Ravenkit, a curious expression on her face.

The other two cats didn't seem interested at all.  The she-cat named Zoe would come in and out of the two-leg building constantly, not seeming to stay still for long. The last cat, a tom named Tiger, didn't bother to even glance Ravenkit's way. In fact, Ravenkit was certain he hadn't even talked to anyone while she had been there.

Ravenkit watched as Allie and Zoe talked.  When Zoe had walked off, Allie walked over to Ravenkit, sitting in front of her.  Allie watched as Ravenkit struggled to sit up, her muscles still aching.

"You mentioned a clan before...what's a clan?"  She asked.

Ravenkit paused, trying to decide how to explain it, "Well...its a group of cats that protect and serve one another."

"Then would we be a clan?"  Allie asked, flicking her tail to indicate she was talking about the other cats.

"Well...clans are bound by the Warrior Code..." Ravenkit meowed.

"What is the Warrior Code?"

"Its a set of rules created by Starclan that every cat must follow."  Ravenkit paused before explaining what Starclan was, "Starclan is a place where the souls of deceased cats go."

"Okay...how many clans are there?"  Allie tilted her head.

"There are four, Windclan, Shadowclan, Thunderclan, and Riverclan.  I'm from Windclan."  Ravenkit fluffed her fur out with pride.

Allie's whiskers twitched as she watched the kit.  "Sounds interesting.  What do you do in Windclan?"

"Right now I'm just a kit so I don't do much, but when I'm an apprentice, I'll train and learn how to hunt and fight so I can defend my clan."  She replied.

Kitty walked up behind Allie, meowing softly, "Hello...how are you doing?  Do you feel better?"

Ravenkit shrugged, "My lungs don't hurt as bad."

Kitty looked at Allie, "What are you guys talking about?"

"Ravenkit is telling me about clans." Allie responded.

"You'll have to tell me all about them sometime." Kitty meowed, "For now, I'd like to take you exploring around the area so you can stretch out your muscles."